Away from Home, Part 19

Author's Note: So I actually suck at making chapters that aren't short.  In fact, this whole story has been pretty short.  I hate to say it, but "[Name]" is actually going to be ending.  I have three alternate endings for this story and I plan to publish them at the same time.  That means it may take awhile for the final update.  I hope you guys enjoyed reading this story and I want to say thanks to everyone who's supported it.  Don't worry, I still plan to write more stories :)

The sun was significantly lower in the sky when you and Kairi finally climbed out of the sewer.  Your plan was set in motion as you both walked through the woods.  You stopped when a disembodied voice began to speak.

"ATTENTION.  ANYONE WHO SEES THE TWO TRAITORS MUST APPREHEND THEM AND RETURN THEM ALIVE TO RUFUS SHINRA.  THAT IS ALL."

"It was only a matter of time," Kairi said as she shook her head.

"Where did that come from?"  You asked.  Kairi explained how the island had thousands of miniature speakers in case Rufus had to make announcements like that one.  After a few minutes, the Shinra mansion came into view.  Kairi led you around to the back of the house.  Close to the ground was a tiny window like the ones often seen in public restrooms.  Using a screw driver, Kairi jimmied the window open and slid into the lower-level room.  You slid in after her and looked around the dark room.

Like Kairi had said it would be, it was deserted.  Everyone in the house had no doubt left to search for you two.  Kairi led you through the dark house until you reached a library.  She went to a bookcase on your right and pulled down and white book.  Most of the floor in the room lowered until it took the form of stairs.  Both of you descended and continued walking down the hallway.  The hallway forked and you and Kairi took took the left hallway and continued to weave your way through the labyrinth.  

Finally, you both arrived in a room with clear tanks lining the walls.  The tanks were filled with a blue opaque liquid and had small computer screens attached to their front.  The room itself was huge.  Desks, filing cabinets, and other various office supplies occupied the center of the room.

"So where do we start first?"  You asked Kairi.

"Check the screens on the tanks.  The tanks are filled with Rufus' serum and if I remember correctly, the screens display information about this whole operation."

 You went over to one of the tanks and touched its surface.  The screen lit up and displayed a globe with multiple red dots that were located on different islands.  Next to the globe was a timer that continued to count down.  The heading above it read "Time Until Next Delivery".

"Kairi, are there other islands like this one?"  She lifted her head from one of the desk drawers and nodded.

"I don't know how big the other islands are, but I know that this was the last one made."

"Why does Rufus stay on this island if he has others."  Kairi got up and walked over so she could stand beside you.

"He stays on an island until he's sure that it doesn't need his supervision.  He moves onto the next island when it's done being built.  Can you find me some paper and a  pen?  I want to write down what islands he has control of.  That way I can give it to the police when we finally get out of this crazy place."

You turned around and went to dig through one of the cabinets.  Suddenly, you were pushed under a desk.  From where you were, you could see Karir facing the doorway at the other end of the room.

"Well, if it isn't the little brat."  The voice was grating and it took you a few seconds to realize it was Yuffie.  Kairi took a tense step forward.

"I don't want to fight you, Yuffie."  Yuffie cackled.

"Really?  Cuz I really wanna fight you!"  Before you could blink, Kairi turned and ran back the way you had came.

"What?!  You bitch!"  Yuffie exclaimed in a shrill voice before running after her.

"Well, shit.  What do I do now?" 

You slowly stood from your hiding spot and looked around.  You slowly inhaled and exhaled until you weren't flustered anymore and were ready to continue with the plan.

Back in the sewer, Kairi had gone over what you were supposed to do in case anything happened to her.  She had told you to go on without her and to save yourself.  You didn't really like that idea, but it was all you could do right now.

After wandering the deserted hallways, you finally came across the most important room.  Kairi had told you beforehand that all of the information needed to stop Rufus would be in the main computer room.  She had told you how to log in into a computer by using a Shinra employee's ID that she had stolen earlier.

As you entered the room you noticed two things.  The first was a huge computer screen that took up most of the wall with a keyboard the size of a coffee table.  The second was a manila folder sitting on said keyboard.  As you approached it, you saw that the folder had your name written on it in big letters.  You opened it and saw that there was a sticky note attached to a stack of papers.

[Name]

I assume this is what you're looking for?  

See you soon,

Rufus Shinra 

Your throat was tight as a tourniquet.  He knew you were there.  He knew what you were planning to do.  Quickly looking through the papers, you saw that they were indeed what you were looking for.  After skimming the papers, you learned that the serum could have it's effects reversed.  Meaning that you could free the citizens from Rufus' mind control and defeat as well.  Unfortunately, the instructions were in some scientific jargon you couldn't completely understand, making the complicated process of reversing the serum even  worse.

As you finished looking over the papers, the atmosphere changed.  Something told you that you weren't alone.

"Hello, [Name]."