Chapter 1

"This is going to be so much fun," Lizzy squeals and clasps your hands as the plane takes off from the tarmac.

You try not to show on your face that you're a bit freaked out by the jostling and shaking. You've never been on a plane before. It's just one of those luxuries that your family hasn't been able to afford.

Your mother hasn't been perfect, but she's worked her tail off to give you more than she had. Since your father hightailed it out of your life on your second birthday, she's had to work two jobs to provide a stable life. Sometimes that life meant painfully unfashionable hand-me-downs to wear. Most times it meant things like no cable or extracurricular activities.

Maybe that's why you did so well at school. You didn't have the same distractions as your peers. You were never rich enough to have the latest version of iPhone in your hand and the fact that you dressed like a dumpster diver meant you were never cool enough to get invited out to parties.

When you got your full scholarship to Harvard, your mother dropped to her knees and wept. She was so happy for you and the future you had in store. Even though she always told you that you were her "little genius" she still scraped together every penny she could for university. Now, with your scholarship paying for all your tuition, books and board, that money has given you the freedom to enjoy life at your ivy league school.

For the first time in your life, you fit in. You have nice clothes. You have enough money to enjoy the social life at the school. All because of your mama.

You smile and stare out the window on the big plane. Outside the world is slipping away under the wing. The houses and buildings are growing smaller every second. It makes this whole thing feel even more surreal.

"It's gonna be a blast," you agree. "Thank you so much for inviting me to your place for spring break," you turn back to Lizzy and smile.

"Oh, like I was gonna leave you alone in the dorm? Come on!" She rolls her eyes.

"Yeah, spring break would've been brutal if you I wasn't going to your place." You agree.

Your thoughts go back to your mother. When you called her and asked about coming home for the week, you were absolutely shocked to find out she had other plans.

"I'm sorry honey, I forgot all about your time off. I won't be here," she told you bluntly on the phone.

"What? Where are you gonna be?"

"I'm taking a little vacation," she answered hesitantly.

"Really? Well, why don't I come with you?" You brightened at the idea.

"Well..."

"Mom, what's going on?" You pressed her.

"The truth?"

"Um, yeah," it wasn't like your mother to be so secretive.

"Scarlett, I met a man. We've been dating since the summer and it's gotten pretty serious. He wants to take me to California for a couple weeks. I've never been on a vacation in my entire life, can you imagine?"

Your eyebrows pinched together. There was so much that surprised you about her confession.

"A man... in the summer? You were dating someone before I came to Harvard? Who?"

"Mr. Beasley," her voice softened. "Ted Beasley," she clarified as if you didn't remember your middle school teacher.

"What? How?"

"We met at church," she answered breezily. "Now, I'm sorry I forgot about your spring break. I should've paid closer attention to your schedule, hun. But, now is finally the time in my life where I can live it for me again. Ted and I love each other, Scarlett. I know you're a beautiful, responsible adult now and that you'll be alright. You'll find something to do for your break, right?" Her voice was tight but hopeful.

"Right," you gave in.

The fact was, your mother did deserve her time. She never had a boyfriend or even flirted with a man the entire time she raised you. Her only focus in life was giving you what she could. And now, look where you ended up. If your mama wanted to have a romantic vacation with a single man, even if that man was the guy you and your classmates called "Mr. Weasley" behind his back, then she deserved that.

"I'm happy for you mama," you smiled and realized that there were much worse things than spending spring break alone.

You blink and look back at Lizzy's bright face. She's clearly happy to be bringing you back to her place, and you're grateful she is. "I can't believe you've never been skiing before. This is gonna be a blast. My Dad is a great skier, but his friend, Luca, he's amazing. Like, you would never guess to look at him that he would be so graceful on skis. He's, like, bigger than Dad and just shredded. Oh my god, wait until you see his tattoos. He was a SEAL for a bunch of years and he's got all these tattoos from his time in. Some are from his missions and some for his career, I dunno," she shrugs with her classic sweet smile. That one that always has just a hint of mischief behind it. "All I know is it's hot."

"As hot as your father?" I tease her.

Lizzy's nose crinkles and her brilliant blue eyes darken as her lips turn down in disgust. "Eww! You've gotta give that up. That's just so icky, Scarlett." She sniffs.

"What? He's single isn't he?" You give her a nudge and she shakes her head. "Ugh, God, if you hook up with my Dad you better not tell me. Okay? La-la-la," she plugs her fingers in her ears and sings the words, "I don't want to know!"

You've teased her about her hot Dad since he dropped her off at your shared dorm room. The truth is, you've never had time for boys in your life. You've always been so focussed on your books and studies that the immature and awkward antics of highschool boys just never interested you.

Then Lizzy and her Dad walked into your life. Or, more precisely, your dorm room. Her Dad was no boy. Just one-hundred-percent man. From his grizzled, strong jaw, to his bulky muscles rippling as he carried your roommates belongings inside. The edges of his thick, brown hair had just a sprinkling of gray. Only enough to truly separate him from the boys wandering around the halls. His crystal blue eyes made your breath hitch in your throat and you couldn't help but lift your nose from your books and spend your time studying him instead.

You blink hard and bring yourself back to the present. There's no point in drooling over Lizzy's father right now. It's not like you're ever going to act on this surge of sexual desires that he's awakened in you. Your mother was right, you're all grown up now, and your body is trying to tell you that you're ready.

But, the chances that you'll lose your virginity to a man like Lizzy's Dad is, well, it's nothing more than a dream. All your exploding ache of longing is really telling you is that you need to start dating. You need to quit sitting on the sidelines and get in the game. After spring break, you're gonna give the whole dating scene a try, you promise yourself.

You turn to chat with your friend, but Lizzy is out cold. She fell asleep quite suddenly, but you don't mind. It just gives you more time to reflect on your life. Your past and how hard your mother worked for you, your present and how far you've come, and your future... wherever that will lead.