Chapter III

"Hi, you must be Summer's friend, I think I may know what's wrong with Summer," The nurse said, a bit too cheerfully for my liking.

Nevertheless, I nodded and presented her with a small smile."Yep, I'm Charlie," I quickly said, desperate to find out my best friends condition."What's wrong with Summer?"

"Well seeing as she was admitted to us not long ago, we have only had time to perform a quick body check,"She started saying, "We figured she had something wrong with her stomach from the report Doc sent us but we weren't able to complete the scan without the patients permission."

"But you said you knew what's with her?" I questioned.

"No, actually I said I think I may know what's wrong with her." She retaliated. Gosh this is worse than the moment they dramatically pause before they announce winners.

One sassy nurse.

"Okay, so can you tell me as I need to inform her parents." I tried to sound calm and experienced but I knew she wasn't buying it.

"Well, she could have Dyspepsia."

"Or?" I acted like I knew what the hell Dyspepsia was.

"Or, of course, there's a possibility of her being pregnant," The words casually flew from her mouth.

My breath hitched in the back of my throat and I could feel my hands getting clammy."Pregnant?"

She nodded."You know that thing where you have a baby inside you after a man-"

"Right, okay."

I internally groaned, I hate this nurse so much I thought.

"I need to update Summer's files so if she wakes up, please alert me or one of my colleagues."

"Alright, thanks for your help."

She took off her plastic gloves, disposing of them in the bin whilst walking out of the door. I reached into my pocket and grabbed my phone, quickly unlocking it. Scrolling through my contacts to find Jade, Summer's mum.

Summer isn't as close to her mum as she should be but her mother still deserves to know about her daughter's condition. I clicked call and waited for a few seconds before I heard it ringing.

"Hi darling, I havn't heard from you in so long! How are you?"

"Hey Jade, I'm good but um, Summer-"

"What has she done now? That girl is way to flirty for her age, I swear," She chuckled.

"I know, but, um, I'm calling from the hospit-" She interrupts me once again.

"Hospital? What? Are you okay? Where's Summer? What's the matter?"

"Well, she's been having really bad stomach cramps but she only told me-"

She cut me off again. Gosh, this woman won't let me get a word in edge ways.

"She's always like that, my Summer," She said. "Which hospital is it? I'll make my way over as soon as possible."

I quickly told her the details and we said our farewells as I led my head on the uncomfortable, beige chairs. This has become a regular routine for me.

The thing about hospitals is beacause they're so empty and dreary, the only thing you can focus on is the person who's in pain or your own thoughts. You could try and converse with the patient or even the nurses who pop in and out of the room but your mind is constantly drawn back to the inevitable thoughts racing through your mind.