2: Better Off Gone.

I cracked my eyes open, squinting at the harsh light coming into the room I was in.

I don't know where I am.

I don't know –

The door slammed open before I could even study the room I was in. The man was back.

How long I've been here? I need to go home.

The man laughed menacingly when I told him as such, "you need to tell me where are you came from, who you were and what you were doing in the woods last night before you can go anywhere, sweetheart," the man chuckled, the pet name giving me shudders as dread dripped down my spine.

"My name is Red... um, Rose, I'm from the village outside of the woods. I come through every day to see my, uh, to see my grandmother," I swallow audibly after my stutter, " I lost the path, I was meant to, to stick to the path. Where am I?" I rush out, my dread curling in my body like a snake as the man's eyes darkened. I clutched my tattered cloak around me tightly as if it would protect me.

"The path moves, little girl. Didn't you know? Someone, something was watching you, wanted you to be lost. Did you come into contact with them?" At my blank look, he scowls and rolls his eyes, " The wolves, girl. Did you see the wolves? Did you see a den?" I start to shake my head but I freeze.

"I think, I think I might have fallen into a den," the man opened his mouth, fury flashing across his face so I panicked and blurt, "I didn't know what it was! I just wanted to get out of the storm but then I found, then I found the bones I didn't see any wolves, I promise! I was only there for a minute! Please help me get home!" He shakes his head, scowling.

"I can't help you do anything little girl, the best thing you can do for yourself, me and your villages to die. The Wolves will know who you are, they will know where you are. You need to leave and if you come back, I'll kill you myself. Do you understand me, little girl?" I was crying now, begging him to let me go home, " I am the hunter little girl, if you go back home, if you come back here then I will kill you. If the Wolves get you, I will hunt you to the ends of this forest and kill you."

I shook my head, sobbing freely as he grabbed me by the arm and dragged me to the door and outside.

He dragged me further and further away from the house, turning almost randomly until we reached a twisted tree by a river. The hunter pushed me to the ground, turned around and left.

I didn't know the way back and I couldn't follow him.

What do I do?

Sobs wracked my body as I panicked.

What do I do?

Then it hit me.

Grandmother's house. If I follow the river, grandmother lives next to a river.

My sobbing slowed to silent tears as I formed my idea.

Follow the river.

Don't lose it.

Not like the path.

Grandmother lives on the west side of the forest. Which way is the west?

How do I find west?

Suddenly a harsh gust of wind swept past me.

The sun always sets in the west, Little Red.

The sun! Where is the Sun? I turn, looking upwards as I searched for my beacon of hope. Where is it?

Where is it?

Where – there!

I laugh almost hysterically with joy and grin as I follow the river in the direction of the Sun.