Belief

A warm breeze rustled through the tall trees stood around us, causing leaves to tumble out of them and float to the ground. The sky was pure blue, not a cloud in sight, as if it were painted.

I turned to the auburn-haired boy beside me, who was staring at the ground, ripping handfuls of grass out and throwing it around ceaselessly.

"Hey, Shane?"

"Hmm?" He turned to me, diamond-like blue eyes shining in the sunlight. "What is it?"

"Do you..." I shifted, the grass below us blowing slightly in the wind. "Do you think that we'll still be friends when we're older?"

"Of course, we're gonna be friends forever!" Shane exclaimed, a smile stretching across his face. "Unless you steal my food, then the deal's off."

We laughed, voices carrying through the field around us like a sweet melody.

I believed every single word he said.

My bedframe creaked as I scooted closer to Shane. He held a Game Boy in his hands- my Game Boy, which he played on whenever he got the chance since he didn't have one himself. The T.V played quietly in the background, playing whatever show was on at the moment.

"Shane," My eyes shifted to the boy's own, which were still glued to the glowing screen. "What do you think we'll be doing five years from now?"

Shane dropped his hands, along with the game, onto his lap and fell backwards onto a pillow. He bit the inside of his cheek for a few moments, before finally looking up at me.

"I dunno, the same thing we're doing right now?"

I chuckled. "What, sleeping over at my house, playing Pokémon, and watching Friends for the twentieth time? Yeah, that sounds about right for two eighteen-year-old boys."

Shane snorted.

"Shut up, just I mean hanging out together, doing whatever and not caring what people think." He paused for a moment before continuing. "And watching Friends."

I laughed loudly, lying back beside him, butterflies fluttering helplessly in my stomach.

"But seriously, I hope I can get a girlfriend by then."

"Same." I said simply, although I couldn't explain why the butterflies had suddenly felt as if they'd turned to acid.

"Don't worry though, I won't forget about you." He said, elbowing me playfully.

I believed him, I needed to believe him.

The trees loomed over us, casting their long shadows across our bodies and the ground below. Small bits of sunlight shone through the branches, giving at least a bit of light in the otherwise dark area.

"You said you wanted to tell me something?" Shane said, taking a seat on the ground and leaning back against a tree.

"Yeah." I sat next to him carefully.

"So... what is it?" He asked.

I took a deep breath in, before shaking my head. "I-I don't know if I can tell you yet- shit, I'm not ready."

"C'mon, you can't just drag me all the way out here for no reason." He smiled, lightly nudging me. "Plus, we've been friends forever, you can tell me anything-"

"I'm gay."

I held my breath, waiting for a response, but Shane was silent. I glanced at him nervously. The smile he'd previously worn had dropped off his face and was replaced with an unreadable expression.