TWELVE

Arden smiled down at her phone as she placed down on her side table beside the bed taking up most of her apartment's space. She had always found it funny just how ridiculously small her place was, yet Timothée's was nearly half the size. She considered finding a bigger apartment, but between all her work and still lack of funds, any larger apartments left in New York were too expensive for the little time she'd spend in them.

With a sigh, Arden stood up and began pacing her bedroom. She hadn't really been all that serious when she called their dinner together a date, but now that it sunk in she had, she had no idea if Timothée was serious. Her mind told her she didn't mind all that much either way, but it seemed like an important distinction. As she began to become frantic, unsure of what to do to prepare, remembering just how comfortable she was around her friend set her nerves to a numb ease.

The actress and writer sifted through her closet. The sweats she had been wearing all day now seemed less appropriate. Arden pulled on a pair of black jeans and grey sweater, pulling on a pair of white sneakers before checking her hair and makeup. She grabbed a black coat from her miniature closet and went for the door. Taking one last look at her trashed apartment, Arden slipped out the door.

   Timothée's apartment was just five blocks down from her's and their traditional cafe was smack-dab in the middle of the two complexes. With just ten minutes before she was supposed to meet him, Arden hurried down the street, a cool breeze whipping in her face. She stopped a modern, but non-franchised, cafe that was abuzz with people just a few years older than herself and not much more so than Timothée.

   As she entered, a warm feeling set over her, the smell of coffee and fresh food hitting her nose. She looked around before spotting Timothée near a corner, but up against a window. She wandered over toward him, spotting the food he had already ordered.

"There's a lot of people," Timothée said, skipping any greeting. "I figured I'd get in line while I waited."

"Well you got the right order, so that was a definite win, thank you," Arden smiled as she took off her coat and sat down across from her friend.

"So I was thinking about you teasing all your poor followers on Twitter and on Instagram," Timothée said as they began to eat.

"And?"

"I realized the date you put on Instagram isn't the same date as our movie premiere," He continued.

"Alright, Sherlock, what else?" Arden chuckled, before taking a bite of her warm sandwich.

"So you're pregnant, right?" Timothée deadpanned.

"What?" Arden asked, unsure of he was joking or not. "That's what you got from that?"

"What else could it be?" Timothée asked, still not letting a smile reach his lips. "I mean, you're an actress you've got to do something scandalous."

Arden rolled her eyes at herself, unsure of why she thought for even a moment he could be serious. "I'll tell you, but you can't go telling anyone else."

"Alright," Timothée nodded, relaxing in his seat as he awaited her explanation.

"Everyone knows I enjoy writing and I've done certain, small pieces for magazines and the media, but mostly about myself," Arden said.

   She paused for a moment. Timothée's eyes watched intently as she searched for his cue to continue. His lips twitched with anticipation and Arden went on.

"I've gotten a label as a writer in the world of Hollywood, but I don't even deserve it," Arden said, suddenly feeling guilty as she waited for her friend to tell her she was right. He never did. "I sat down with my manager a while back and I discussed exactly what I wanted to do. She gave me the 'okay', and started working."