THE AWE OF THE KNIGHT

A scene of the the humid, party atmosphere of Los Angeles emerges, flashing lights and blurred passions of the previous night glean through Awsten's distracted mind. He remembers, vaguely, seeing some sort of harsh neon signs as he was being led into some raunchy nightclub the night before. But he was with someone, he just couldn't remember who.

Still hazed and extremely groggy from yesterday, Awsten therapeutically massages his face as to relieve some tension as he looks around the small apartment bedroom that ultimately ended last night's endeavor.

Strangely, he just barely remembers the familiarity of the room; he remembers the blinding glow of the lamp as he tried to focus all his senses into breathing in the apartment yesterday, the experience of what was happening, but now he is just frustrated because of his inability to remember just what  he felt.

He notices his clothes flung across the room, near the corridor leading to the kitchen. He lifts up the messy bed sheets, that stuck to his body for a second, and looked down just to realize that he was bare-naked and covered in something sticky. Just as he was processing this, he heard a small groan coming to his left side. He pulled the sheet to reveal Travis at his side, hunched over and glistening with sweat. He slowly turned around to face Awsten, and the two shared a glance.

"Oh," Awsten managed to softly murmur, still dazed as the previous night now raced through his mind.

He remembered leading Travis into the apartment, both of them giggling in hysterics as Awsten fumbled through his key ring to try to unlock his apartment, obnoxiously drunk off cheap Merlot. He remembered the sheer childlike excitement of leading Travis into the bedroom, stumbling past pieces of furniture and any underlying premonitions that would have subjected themselves to their thoughts if they were sober. He recollected the feeling of tearing apart Travis's clothes, entwining their tongues and lips as he tried to get the taste of Merlot out of his mouth, and get Travis in.

Surprisingly, Awsten didn't feel any regret, just mild perplexment. He didn't know how it happened, but he didn't want to question it, he just knew that it  did  happen. And that was enough for him.

"Trying to remember last night, too?" Awsten mumbled in a slightly apprehensive manner, as if saying anything more would ruin the sacrament of the moment.

"Ha, yeah," Travis replied slightly embarrassed while rubbing his eyes and repeating Awsten's scan of the room. Paired together with Awsten's clothes were Travis's undergarments too, a little more worn and tattered than Awsten's.

Both of them slightly raised themselves from their supine position in the bed, a point where only their upper torsos were exposed. They stared into each other's glossy eyes, mirroring each other's reflections endlessly.

So the scene has now promptly embellished itself, Awsten's slightly-dirty apartment with a grandeur of stimuli, both physical and mental, that apparently set the mood for last night's lovemaking. The lavender seeping from the bathroom, the brief, pungent citrus aroma from the kitchen, and the excelling fetor of their mingling fluids; these all contributed to the hefty weight of the experience last night developed.

"Do you regret it?" Awsten suddenly blurted, not daring to deviate his line of sight from Travis's soul, becoming somewhat paranoid of the answer he was going to receive. Travis returned the glance more fervently, searching through Awsten's eyes.

"No, I don't," Travis replied, gently easing himself up, still under the covers, inching his way closer to Awsten's body, "last night happened for a  reason, Awsten."