~ Chapter 2 ~ an unlikely partnership

"your partner." Washington says.

I cough.

"I'm sorry sir, I must have bad hearing, but did you just say this was my partner ?" I ask.

Washington nods. I blink.

"You can't be serious."

"Mulligan, this mission is a hard task to pull off, no one can do it alone..." Washington reasons.

I shake my head.
"Sir, I can do this on my own, I don't need a partner." I argue.

"I trust that you could do this on your own, but it is just too dangerous for anyone to go alone, and-"

"Sir, please! I. Don't. Need. A. Partner." I ask, annoyed.

"Mulligan, I know you can do this yourself. I also know you aren't the best liar, or the best at getting yourself out of any situation." He gestures to the figure. "And she will help you."

I blink. She?! I must be hearing things. Women cannot be spies. Right? 

The figure turns around, reveling a mid-height, pale girl, with long, wavy, auburn brown hair, and light blue eyes. Her eyes have a focused and stern look. She is wearing black pants, a black jacket, and black shoes.

She looks me up and down, and rolls her eyes subtly.

Washington nods at her.
"Mulligan, this is Megara Aphrodite. Meg, this is Hercules Mulligan."

We shake hands, and stare at each other blankly, neither wanting to say anything.

Washington sighs, and dismisses us, but not before telling us to meet back at his office  Monday, ready to board the ship to sail to england.

Two days pass, and one morning, as I write in my journal, I hear a knock on the door.

I walk to open it, and John appears in the doorway. We exchange a grin, and I welcome him in.

He walks to the office, and sits in my desk chair, propping his legs up on the desk.

"Laf and Alex should be here soon." He says. I roll my eyes, grinning.

"Why?"

John gives me a mysterious look.

"I don't know. I guess you'll have to wait to find out."