Chapter Four

Thank God Camila had been allowed to bring her iPod with her – the brochure clearly stated no electronic devices, but after a whole bunch of pleading and desperate promises, that rule had been overlooked – because the books aren't working and her mind is elsewhere and the only reprieve she's ever able to find in times like these are in music. 

So when Lauren's sound asleep in their bed is when Camila fishes out her headphones and fully welcomes the impending break from reality.

Seating herself quietly in the large chair she's become accustomed to, she puts the ear buds in and presses play.

Contrary to what others might think, Camila's music taste is anything but classical. Due to her being the shy, quiet girl, everyone assumes she spends her time playing the piano and silently bobbing her head along to Beethoven's Fifth, when, in reality, she has what any normal teenager would have. A slightly embarrassing amount of One Direction, some Imagine Dragons, Drake, and an accumulation of obscure-ish indie bands.

Just because she's quiet doesn't mean she's an avid Mozart fanatic, and if even one person cared enough to strike a conversation with her, they'd know that. Not that she wanted them too. She preferred the seclusion, honestly. A lot less anxiety and a lot less pressure.

I got my eyes on you

You're everything that I see

I want your hot love and emotion

Endlessly

I can't get over you

You left your mark on me

I want your hot love and emotion

Endlessly

Camila sighs in contempt at the familiar rhythm pulsing through her veins, the soothing tempo immediately relaxing of her. It's not even that it's a particularly meaningful song, it's just got a damn good beat that soothes her almost instantly.

And for the first time in days, her mind isn't on Lauren. It's more concentrated on the thrum of the bass and the music settling thickly into her bones.

She can't help herself, never can when she gets in tune with a song, and begins singing. 

There isn't a sleeping girl in the other room that's on the prowl anymore, she isn't in a cold unfamiliar place without her parents and her sister, there isn't anything other than the music and the way it makes her feel so at ease.

She's never really considered herself much of a singer, especially because she's absolutely petrified to even mull over the thought of someone else hearing her, but it's something she's always loved to do.

So, goodness be damned, it wasn't like she'd be singing in front of anyone at any point in time, why not give it her all when she's in the privacy of her own company?

'Cause you're a good girl

And you know it

You act so different around me

'Cause you're good girl

And you know it

I know exactly who you could be

So just hold on we're going home

Just hold on we're going home

It's hard to do these things alone

Just hold on we're going home...

Camila's so immersed in the song that she's not even bothering to keep her tone soft, and only does she realize that she's been properly belting out the lyrics in the most theatrical of ways when she opens her eyes and sees someone standing in front of her.