Chapter 1: "New Kid"

Writer's note: Y/N = Your Name, Y/F/N = Your Full Name, P.O.V. = Point Of View

I looked in the mirror. Today was the day, the day I was starting school in Hawkins, Indiana. I had only been here for three days, all of which I'd spent unpacking. I hadn't really gotten a good look around the town, but it was small enough so I was sure I'd know my way around it soon.

I fixed my hair and adjusted my t-shirt length. It had taken me ages to decide on what to wear. Who knows why? All I had on me was a pair of ripped jeans and a plain black t-shirt with a leather jacket. What do you wear on your first day of school anyway? I knew the school year had already started. That's what made this harder.

After fixing my hair one more time, I grabbed my bag and ran downstairs. As I walked into the kitchen, I noticed a small piece of torn paper on the table. It was a note from my mom. I read the scrawled handwriting.

"Hey Y/N, I'm so sorry I couldn't drive you into school on your first day, but I didn't want to be late for work. I promise I'll make it up to you later! xx"

I smiled at the note. My mom had just gotten a job at a music store and I knew she wanted to do her best working there. She always did her best for me, but I was fifteen now and I figured I'd be okay on my own today. After all, it's not like she could go into school for me.

I made myself a quick slice of toast and poured a glass of orange juice. I was too nervous to eat anything else. When I was finished, I put down my plate and empty glass at the sink and ran out the door. My bike was lying in the front garden. I lifted it up off the dry grass and began my journey to school.

I felt the wind rushing through my hair and the sun soaking into my skin. It was a nice, warm, spring day. I used the opportunity to look around. There were other kids my age walking to school. A lot of them gave me strange looks. Did they know I was the new kid? I guess it seemed like a town where everyone knew each other.

I remembered going down this road three days ago when my mom and I were driving to our new house. We had passed the school on our way. I think that was the only reason I actually knew where I was going.

After around ten minutes of cycling, I skidded to a stop because I recognised the building I was in front of. The letters on the building read 'Hawkins Middle School". There were dozens of kids walking onto the school grounds. There was more staring. A lot more. People had started to point in my direction. I really didn't feel like being in the centre of attention right now, so I hopped off my bike and started walking towards a nearby bike rack. I leaned my bike against the warm metal. I took a deep breath as I looked towards the school entrance. This was it.

I felt lost in the sea of faces. I knew I was supposed to go to the principal's office first. I took my bag off my shoulders and searched for the folded piece of paper that would tell me where I needed to go. It was a letter I had gotten before starting school and with it was a map of the school. I noticed it at the very bottom of my bag. Just as I grabbed it, someone knocked into my shoulder and the piece of paper fell from my hand. I ran to where it was lying on the dusty ground but the wind carried it away before I could grab it.

Crap, I thought. I knew the only thing I could do now was ask someone where to go. I scanned the area to try and find a friendly face. I saw a small group of girls approaching me. One of them had short, dark hair and was taller than the other two girls. Another had curly, brown hair and the shortest girl had long, blonde hair. They were all really pretty and they looked friendly from first glance, so I decide to walk over to them.

"Uh, hi, sorry to bother you but I was wondering if you knew how to get to the principal's office?" I asked the girl with the curly hair.

She looked me up and down for a moment. The other two other girls stared at me.