Prologue

The tears fell, one right after the other, clouding my vision as my heart ached inside my chest. The sobs began to move through my body as all of my air began to cease. My hands shook as I wrapped myself around him, holding on as tightly as I possibly could. I knew somewhere deep down that it could be the last time I'd ever get to hold him and it scared me to death. "Justin, please..." My voice broke as another sob made it's way through my body and I held onto him even tighter. 

     "Baby, I'm sorry," he breathed against my temple before placing another kiss in the same spot. I could tell by the way his voice sounded that he was trying hard not to cry himself and it made my heart break even more. Instead of responding, I brought my lips to his, letting my feelings out in the kiss. 

     "Please stay here, here with me. Please don't leave, please," I begged him despite my better judgement. A single tear fell from his beautiful eyes and my heart completely shattered within it's self. He was crying, and it was because of me. "I'm sorry, Jay. I'm sorry." Burying my face into his chest, I held onto him as tightly as I possibly could. "It wasn't supposed to go this way, I wasn't supposed to cry and I certainly wasn't supposed to make you cry. I'm sorry." 

     His large hand smoothed down my brown hair, comforting me as we both cried. "I love you, baby. Do you hear me? I love you, no matter what." Nodding my head, I squeezed my eyes shut, forbidding any more tears from falling. 

     "I love you too, no matter what." More tears leaked from his eyes as he pulled me closer to him, making even more leak from my own eyes. 

     "Annabelle, look at me," he pleaded, his voice breaking once more. "Please, sweetheart, look at me." Sighing, I looked up at him, trying my hardest not to let any more tears fall. "I will come back to you, okay? I will. Baby, I will always come back to you." The moment he finished his sentence, I crushed my lips to his. 

     Instead of speaking all of my what ifs, I remained silent and just held onto him for as long as I possibly could; I didn't ever want to let go of him. Leaving a lingering kiss on my forehead, we both allowed the tears to flow freely. We held on to each other tightly, both afraid that if we were to let go the other person might shatter to the ground like a piece of glass. 

     I couldn't lose my soldier.