The First Shot

It all came unexpected, really. Agatha was only resting and the sun was barely lively, when to her surprise and bewilderment, she felt something get close to her and a heavy weight had trapped a portion of her hair beneath it. It was quite the unpleasant surprise for her when she lifted her weary head upward. She was greeted with a chilling pull. She gave a sharp yelp, realizing that someone or something was lying on the end of her hair and she yanked it free with a jolt of her head.

"What the ruddy -" hissed her voice sharply before she felt a nose nuzzle her head. It was a horse!

"Come! Get out of here!" she grouchily snapped, whacking the animal on the nozzle with her hand as if she was swatting a fly. She happened to be resting in late, which would uncalled for during certain circumstances. In a bratty huff, she crawled about in search for her walking stick. As soon as she found it, she took notice that she was all alone in the tent. The excited horse pulled his head out of the tent, making the tie ups loosened before the unfortunate falling of it atop of Agatha. In her rage, she crawled around to find her way out, cursing. The end result being the poor cart pony receiving a rock to his mane.

"Greetings to you too, pest!" she grumbled before trying to stand up.

Despite the resting tent falling over again, she wondered where her fellow travelers had gone. She may had acted that she didn't care but, she was a bit on edge. Rose, who was usually entrusted to her, was gone. There was a twinge of worry in her, right up until she began to hear the knocking upon wood in the far off clearing.

Rose happened to be in the clearing as Quasimodo and the gypsies worked. Two young girls who were just her age decided to come up to her, hoping that she wanted to play with them. One girl had a head of shortened gold hair as her friend had long dark brown, unlike Rose's, whose hair was that of lighter brown. But, she was not so sure of what they wanted of her at first and turned nervous. In her uncertainly, she looked to Quasimodo who was the one keen of watching her as he repaired a snapped board.

"Hello, miss!" playfully greeted the golden haired, taking a kindly step towards her.

"What's your name?" asked the dark brown one. "My name's Judeth."

"I'm - I'm Lillian." said the golden haired one.

Rose was stuck at what to say, but then looked to Quasimodo as he gazed up at her, just finished with the board. To her, he nodded, pressing her a bit to play with them. Seeing that hint, Rose swallowed before looking back at the two. She never truly played with other children before. She wasn't so sure of what it was like.

"What is your name?" Judeth asked again, seeing that this new girl was deeply shy.

Rose could not bring herself to speak at first. Instead, she resulted to going to Quasi. He realized that she wasn't having such fine luck. Lillian and Judeth's faces both fell. Concerned, Quasi looked to Rose who was hiding behind him.

"They only wish to play with you." he warmly whispered to her. Rose, again, didn't say anything. "They want to be your friends...." he whispered again. "Don't be afraid."

He knew that she never was given such an offer before. She never played much in her life thus far. Becoming determined, he sighed at her restraint and just barely nudged her closer to the two.

"Come now." he told her and she did as he said. He smiled at her worried look and just ushered her. "Come.... Tell them your name."

The two girls looked back up, a little happier that she came back. Rose gave them a rather embarrassed smile and waved at them. Lillian was the first to stand up as Rose looked closer to see what they were doing. It seemed that they were digging.