3: Going Back Eight Years

Chapter 3

Back to the present my mother and Caroline, the party planner, were discussing flowers. I did not even know why I had to be present at this meeting of torture; probably just to my mother could brag to others that I had helped in the planning of the ball. It reminded me so much of when my mother and I planned my fourteenth birthday party together and how horribly that ended.

I tuned them out again, as I was recalling my childhood filled with joyful memories. We lived in our smaller palace by the beach mainly year round, which was my home and will always be my home. I remember playing in the sand, just letting the sand sift through each of my toes, feeling the cool breeze whip my hair around my face, and eating a real family dinner together without guards or distractions. 

Even being homeschooled there was fun. When I was younger I had a yearning for knowledge, and I thought there had to be an answer to every question. My eighteenth birthday changed my whole outlook on life. I did not care about manners, looks, school, or some day’s even life itself. I just did not care. Sarah held me together for last seven almost eight years.

The combination of having my only home ripped away from me and my love, my best friend, Peter ripped away all within the a few days, broke me down. I took it out on my family, mainly my mother and Peter. Did he not love me? He said he would marry me one day, was that a lie. Well, I could never find out now can I? Now my worth living outlook is because I will change the country. To do so though I will have to open my heart to another man, knowing he could rip it if he so chose to. 

That night I did absolutely nothing, memories from my days and nights spent with Peter came back to me. They gave me nightmares for the first year and I would scream out for him, and wake up to nothing. I missed Peter wholeheartedly but in the foreboding way that continues to haunt you, I gave up on the love we had, it is the friendship I miss now.

If Peter had truly loved me, he would have fought for me instead of running. My dreams were full of Peter, and finally I woke up and just stayed up to fight off the dreams. I would look like crap tomorrow but did I care? No, would my mother throw a fit? Yes, of course that is a guarantee.

Roaming the gardens was nice and quiet at night, at least my guards stayed out of my way because I probably would have punched one in the mood I was in. I let my mind wander to thoughts of where I would live once I was married. Not this palace until my parents die, and not my one true home because it is right on the border of England and Spain where the war is going on. 

We had been at war with France for seven years now, almost eight. They accused us of switching their Prince to be almost twenty-two years ago with an English commoner. It was only discovered when someone noticed the prince looked nothing like his parent's around his fourteenth birthday. They took his fingerprints and matched them to his birth certificate and they did not match. 

They secretly searched for him high and low until they found him a common English farming boy. That day they declared war on England. I was to upset over my thirteenth birthday, I lost Peter that day and also the King and Queen died a week later, I was particularly attached to them but it was still sad.

That is another reason why we had to move, being, as my parent's now reigned over England, they had to live in this huge palace and they could not be that close to the war zone for safety precautions. All of those reasons have made me the person I am now, and is why I hate this stupid war. 

Finally, the sun was rising by the time I came to my surroundings and left my thoughts behind. I went into the house to find some breakfast. When it was well after nine, I went to meet my stylish and design my gowns. I secretly loved fashion, so shh do not tell anyone, especially my mother. My stylish, Rebecca was waiting for me in my room when I arrived. 

She had pink hair and an extraordinary white suit on, looking quite excited. She knew of my secret, probably the only person. I designed even better gowns then her, but I let her take the credit, I just liked wearing my designs.

My first gown would be for day one of the ball and my presentation. The ball will be three days in total. During the day, there will be festivities for all the young bachelors to come and compete hoping to impress me. 

My first gown will be blue with white triangle down the center of the dress, like a Cinderella princess gown. My second gown will be mainly white with black features and lace. The last ball gown will be entirely black with a long train, black gloves, and a black mask. I will be wearing different jewelry and shoes each night, but for all three I will be wearing a tiara made for a princess, which is me.

The next week flew by. I spent my days wandering about the gardens, reading or just thinking about my impending doom, marriage. My nights were spent clubbing with Sarah, or tossing and turning in my sheets. 

It was the day before the ball when I got my final gown fitting. The gowns had turned out wonderful and my mother loved Rebecca's work. If my mother knew, I designed them she would be bragging to everyone I know that I am a fabulous designer, which I did not want. If had I one thing to be excited about this ball, is wearing these gorgeous gowns. 

The day of the ball was finally here. Everyone was running around getting things ready for the guests, arriving at six pm, only six hours away. At last count there were three hundred bachelors coming from around the world to impress me and win my hand. It was a rule that no one could ask me to marry them or even discuss marriage unless I brought the topic up and there was no way that I was bringing it up. 

I was probably the only one not rushing off to do something. I sat in my secret spot in the palace grounds and no one even bothered chasing after me, probably too busy securing the ball room for tonight, tonight.

A big night in particular for me, everything my parents did for me and the future of this country rested on my shoulders tonight. I had to make my entrance and greet everyone without falling or saying the wrong thing.

Then to top it all off, my parents are making me choose a bachelor by the end of the three days to stay with us for two weeks to get to know them. Decisions, decisions, I hate making them. Especially with a deadline like a razor sharp blade over my head except it's parliament over my head instead of a blade. 

Forcing me to me to be unhappy and marry. A life or death decision and only three days to do it. Tonight was when I would know my choices, my palms were already sweating.