Dusk

The water flowed by endlessly. It was swift, but moved at a pace gentle enough to leave the riverbed mostly undisturbed by its flow. You could see where the earth had soft patterns carved into it by the underwater currents, as well as a few swirling debris here and there - small pebbles and pieces of dead leaves.

Sunlight glimmered across the rippling tides as they roved over rocks and pushed along a few small fish here and there. The scales shone soft greys and warm oranges, and the smaller ones looked translucent.

You knelt at the edge of the river, hands folded in your lap. Garbed in only a pure white kimono, with your hair worn loose, it would likely have been a wonder to any onlookers as to why you were not concerned with dirtying your outfit.

Hidden behind a veil attached to your headpiece, tears stained your face, and you kept your head bowed as you gazed across the river.

Such a lovely spot.

In front of you, resting on the earth, was a medium-sized dagger still in its sheath.

So it had remained for several hours, following your arrival here. Silently resting in front of you, it witnessed every sob to escape your lips in the short time you had allowed yourself.

You were faintly aware of the sound of the forest around you. Birds fluttering from tree to tree, calling out to each other and going about their lives. Something mussed around in the bushes across the river and moved along quietly.

A small, furred creature scaled up and down the trees, occasionally taking time out of its schedule to scamper across the ground and chitter.

Every so often, you windered if it was chittering at you or not, but...it never accosted you.

Perhaps because you didn't move?

Every so often, you thought you heard voices. That was wrong, you knew, because you were hours away from any human habitat. No one should have been out here. Just...

You.

Even you should not be there.

But...you wanted to take matters into your own hands, if you were going to cease to be at all. This was all you had left.

The furthest extent of whether or not you could control your circumstances... How to die, rather than if.

You heard movement. It was something heavier, a lot like footsteps. Two pairs... Perhaps a bear? No...something like a wolf or a large cat, then?

Well...you certainly didn't want to be mauled to death.

The forest fell silent for a moment, aside from the sound of the river. Your breath hitched nervously, and your heart began to pound as the hairs stood up on the back of your neck.

The world had taken a deathly stillness, which could only indicate the presence of a predator.

You felt eyes on your back, and suddenly you wanted to scream. Run. Fight for the life you had been spending hours convincing yourself to give up and part with.

Even if you thought you were prepared to end it, you were not prepared for pain.

Like a coward, you lunged forward, hand snapping up the knife as you drew it swiftly.

That movement triggered whatever it was that had come up behind you to spring into action as well - with the thunderous sound of rushing, a shadow fell over you.

Impact.

The blade was knocked from your hand and clattered uselessly a few feet away. Your body was propelled to the side, and you gave a sharp yelp of shock.