[14] Sending Him Off and Taking Her In

Marie wouldn't leave my side at all. It broke my heart, seeing a girl who was so much like me, and I cried with her sometimes. She clung to me, even though she barely knew me. When I asked her why, she said it's because I helped her, and that I was like her mommy. She asked to hold my hand, and when I held it, she squeezed it gently and refused to let go. She was a scared little girl, and I'd do my best to protect her.

______________

Today was the day We'd be sending Loki off to Asgard with Thor. Marie asked to come with me, and I couldn't leave her alone. I decided to bring her along, and it was only to Central Park.

"You won't fly us there, right?" Marie asked. She hated heights, so of course I said no. Instead, I called a taxi, and we were driven to the stop closest to the park. When we got out, Marie immediately gripped my hand, and we walked towards the others. 

"Hey Cynthia. Hi there little one." Bruce said. He walked over to me and kissed my cheek, and Marie hid behind my legs. I heard Tony chuckle, and Bruce was called over by Dr. Selvig. He took these tongs that Erik gave him, and he carefully picked up the Tesseract. He placed it in this contraption that  reminded me of an incubator, and Loki was holding one handle, and Thor griped the other one. Thor looked around at us, and I smiled a little and waved. He nodded, twisted his handle, and he and Loki seemed to dissolve and shoot up towards the sky. I smiled softly and Marie came out a little.

"Is the mean man gone?" She asked softly. I crouched down to her level and gently held her shoulders.

"Yes, and he won't be back, hopefully. But if he does come back, He won't touch you." I promised her. She nodded, and I made to stand, but she tugged on my sleeve.

"Will you take care of me now? Or will I have to go live with another family?" She asked me in a tiny voice.

"Sweetie, if you really want me to, I'll take care of you. It's all up to you." I told her. It's true I have ony known her for at least a week, but I couldn't just let her go to an orphanage. She was so small.

"I want to stay with you..." She said shyly.

"The with me you'll stay." I said. she hugged me tightly, and I stood up and saw Natasha handing Bruce his bag. Tony and Steve shook hands, Clint and Natasha got in Clint's car, Steve got onto his motorbike, and Tony walked over to me.

"So, is this goodbye? Or will you be coming along? Bruce is staying with me for a short while, and you and the little kid can do the same." He offered. I looked over at Bruce and he smiled a little.

"Marie, what would you like?" I asked her, she looked up at Tony shyly, and he smiled at her.

"I don't know..." She mumbled. Tony chuckled, and she looked down shyly.

"How about this, you come to the tower, look around, and then decide?" He asked her. She nodded, and Tony led the two of us to his car. I helped Marie into the back of the car, and I got in myself. I buckled her up, and then myself, and Tony drove off.

___________________

We arrived at Stark Tower, and Bruce offered to help Marie out of the car. She allowed him, and then I got out. Tony got out last, and he led us inside. It was twice as amazing on the inside as it was on the outside. Marie gasped, and Tony chuckled.

"You like it?" He asked her. She nodded, and Tony held out his hand.

"Here, let me give you a tour." He said, and I nudged Marie, and she took his hand and let go of mine. Together, they left, leaving me and Bruce alone.

"She seems sweet." Bruce said, breaking our silence.

"Yea, and she's just like me. Her mother left her when she was younger, and her father has passed on." I said, looking in the direction she and Tony went. Bruce walked over to me and gently took my hand. I looked at him, and he kissed my forehead. I looked up at him, and he smiled down at me.

"So, are we still together, or shall we start over?" He asked.

"I think we should start over. New beginnings are what everyone needs right now. And one girl is very pissed off at your buddy." I said, whispering the last part in Bruce's ear. He grinned sheepishly at me, and I shook my head.

"He was trying to protect her!" He laughed, but I turned away from him.

"I'm sorry, do I know you? I'm Cynthia Coulson. Who're you?" I asked, a smile playing at my lips.

"Oh, my apologies, Miss. I'm Dr. Bruce Banner, but you can call me Bruce." He said, playing along. We went back and forth like that, until he asked me out to dinner that night.

"Why, Bruce. I would love to join you for dinner tonight. Thank you for asking." I giggled. Bruce smiled, took my hand, and brought it to his lips. I blushed, even though this was our second chance.

"...And that concludes this tour of Stark Tower." Tony said. Marie had a huge smile on, and she hugged Tony tightly. Bruce had his arm around my shoulders, and Tony raised his eyebrows at us. 

"Easy, you two. I think Marie wants to stay here." Tony said, and Marie nodded.

"Then we'll stay here." I said, and Marie jumped up and down, and Bruce kissed my cheek. Marie ran up to me and hugged me, and then she ran back and hugged Tony.

"Marie, doesn't the sweet Dr. Banner get a hug?" I asked her playfully. She shyly walked over to Bruce, and he bent down to her level. She hugged him, and he hugged her back, unlike I did. She usually just hugged me for a split second, so I only hugged back at times. She seemed to linger in his arms, and when she pulled away, she was crying.

"You hug me like my daddy used to hug me..." And that made me cry as well. Bruce stood up, and Marie walked over to me. I knelt in front of her and held her in my arms lovingly as we both started sobbing. Tony left the room, and Bruce walked over to us, he knelt as well and took us both int his arms. He held me as I held the sobbing child, and somehow, it all felt right. I felt as though I was supposed to share scenes like this with Bruce, so maybe this was fate's way of saying that I will spend my life like this. But, Fate has funny way of dealing things out, so I hope they aren't playing me.

__________________{A/N}_________________

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for the reads, and no, this isn;t the end of the book. To all those who are reading, there will be a bit more, I promise. Hang in there! JK!