Part 9

He hesitated for a moment. He was clearly at a loss for words which ignited a feeling of satisfaction in my chest.

"I bid you good day m'lady." he said so silently, almost a whisper.

"As do I." I replied but before I could finish, he was gone.

That afternoon, I decided to go for a stroll along the stream that divided the mansion's gardens. I walked to the water and sat beside the gentle stream. I remained there for a few minutes, soaking in all the solemn silence... the sound of the trees swishing with every gentle breeze and the trickle of water as it slides past the rocks. I lay on the grass around me and just as I was about to drift off to sleep, a sweet giggle grabbed my attention.

Another voice seemed to join in the giggling immediately after. I sat up and looked around me, carefully observing my surroundings. I could not see a thing apart from the tall tree barks and two turrets from the mansion that were too tall for the trees to cover. I stood up slowly as the giggling continued and started following the sound. After walking quite a distance, the giggling seemed to stop. I looked around me feeling extremely puzzled. I then heard a bustling sound coming from the bushes and quickly picked up my pace to see what was going on.

I brushed past the bush and stopped in my tracks. I had arrived at a clearing in the trees and on the ground before me were two lovers entinwed in a heated kiss laying on top of each other. Shocked, my first instinct was to run off and leave them be but as soon as I stepped backwards, a fallen tree branch snapped under my foot which immediately captured the lovers' attention. Their heads shot up as I stood there completely dumb-founded, staring at them in the middle of such an intimate moment.

"Oh my God. Forgive me Lady Alyssa!" said the girl who I immediately recognised was Blair. "Please m'lady. Please do not send me away." she cried as she stood up and distanced herself from the man who was still lying on the ground looking dazed at the sudden turm of events.

I opened my mouth to speak but the young man interrupted me.

"No Blair. 'Tis I who shall leave. 'Twas my idea to come here... I should gave known better."he said as he got up and moved closer to Blair. He slid his hands around her waist and entwined his hands with hers.

Once again I attempted to speak but Blair jumped in.

"No Pat. I will leave with you for I cannot bear to be parted from you."she replied passionately.

"No one has to leave." I stated. Their heads shot up at me. "Had it been Lord Jonathan, things would have been different, but I, I adore love. I will not punish you and I will not tell a soul of what I have witnessed... but be careful. You may not be so lucky next time round." I watched as their looks of shock turned to smiles. Blair wrapped me in a hug and I could not help myself but hug her back. She was always so sweet to me and if I would not get my fairytale ending, I wanted her to at least have hers.

"We cannot thank you enough m'lady." said the man as he approached to kiss my hand in appreciation. 

"It was nothing." I said with a small smile. 

"This is Patrick, one of the stableboys at the mansion." introduced Blair.

"It is very nice to meet you Patrick."

"It is a pleasure to meet you m'lady." he replied. At that moment, the clock chimes of the bell tower started echoing around us.

"I believe 'tis time for me to take my leave. I shall leave you in peace." I say before bidding them farewell and walking back to the mansion.

***

The Harvest Ball approached quickly and I found myself dressed in my best attire, waiting in the foyer for Jonathan before our early departure to Carlisle. He soon appeared and descended down the stairs followed by the Earl and Countess.

"Oh Alyssa dear. You look wonderful."exclaimed the Countess as she embraced me.

"Thank you Estelle."I said as I slowly diverted my gaze towards the Earl who was standing beside her.

"I wish you an unforgettable experience and a safe journey."he said as he nodded his head at me. I smiled and for the first time that day, my eyes fell onto Jonathan in his perfectly tailored suit with golden buttons stitched in equal distance from one another.

"Alyssa, the carriage is loaded and ready."he said not even bothering with the slightest compliment.

"Then we will not keep you any further." his mother said as she placed her arm around her husband's. "Enjoy the festivities and have a safe trip."

"Thank you mother."Jon said as he kissed her on the cheek. Then he offered me his arm which I carefully took. I felt a little bit afraid to touch him. He always seemed above me and I found myself constantly questioning  my actions.

I was helped onto the carriage by one of the footmen and as soon as Jon had climbed inside beside me, we were off. A few hours into the ride, the rain started pouring. I found myself drifting off to sleep but before my eyes could settle into a peaceful rest, I felt a hand slip around my shoulder. I opened my eyes, blinking through the bluriness to see myself rested against Jon's chest his arm holding me close to him. I was not sure how I felt about that at that moment but all I knew was that I desperately needed to rest and my eyes closed one final time...