Chapter 9

My partner mumbles out “Stefanie Talmon?” I nod “I know you’re not from here but Stefanie Talmon is important to this town. She had an effect on a lot of people. Most importantly she had blonde hair and blue eyes.” My partner nods getting up from his seat looking over the pictures of the victims “like our victims.” I nod “exactly like them.” My partner sighs “so what then, its Richie?” I shake my head “no the killer wanted us to suspect Richie or at least have the name Talmon in mind during our investigation.” My partner nods pacing back and forth “why?” I turn to him smiling “isn't it obvious?” He shakes his head “maybe to you but you know this town best humor me I didn't grow up here.”

I sigh leaning against my partner’s desk “none of these girls matter to him. That’s why they keep showing up dead why he doesn't care but it’s how they show up blue eyes, blonde hair that could reflect the sun, like hers.” He nods “so what do you think?” I look down “whoever the killer is he had at least an infatuation with Stefanie Talmon.” My partner chimes in “a lover?” I roll my eyes “she was 18, quiet like our victims but she had friends, friends who cared, but they all missed something.”

My partner takes the picture of the first Lily and holds it out to me “what about her? She was never found?” I shake my head “maybe because she isn't dead.” He looks to the girls “what would make her so special?” I smile realizing “her hair.” He turns back to me “hair?” I nod looking at all the girls “she’s the only one with 'blonde hair and real blue eyes correct?” He nods turning to me “just like Stefanie?” I smile stating “exactly!”

I sigh feeling the extreme headache kick in and hear my partner concerned voice “Amanda?” I look up and shake my head “fine, just tired.” He places the photo down and turns to me “why not go home, get some rest? I will look over some stuff and call you if I find anything. I still need to go through the books.” I nod turning to my desk grabbing my jacket and throwing it around myself. I feel the chills set in as I make my way to my car and watch my shaking hand try and stumble with my keys.

I hear a voice behind me “you don’t look so good?” I turn back eyeing Talmon leaning against his police cruiser and drop my keys. He comes over picking them up playing with them in his hands. I go to grab them from him but he pulls them back “I’ll give you a ride you can’t drive like this Mandy.” I shake my head “I’m, I’m fine please just-” I feel my legs about to give out and Talmon grips my arms holding me up “look let me get you out of here before someone starts asking questions, questions that could get you in trouble.”  I nod allowing myself to drop into his grip as he helps me into the police cruiser. He lowers into the seat and takes off his police cap placing it on the dashboard. He smiles fixing his hair and I laugh “never did have a bad hair day, did you Talmon?” He grins placing his keys in the ignition as he slowly turns them.

He pulls out of the parking lot and into the street. He puts on his police sirens and I laugh “what are you doing?” He raises an eyebrow “this is an emergency in my book.” I shake my head, leaning my head against the cold window fighting to stay awake. I stay focused on the red and blue lights flashing around the car trying to calm my shakes. I hear him laugh “it’s the hardest fight in the world Mandy, the fight against yourself.” I watch his hand curve around the wheel as he turns it right and close my eyes at the motion of the car.

He laughs “you have to focus on something else.” I open my closed eyes staring at him as he remains staring forward. He turns to me “if you can find something better to focus on it won’t be so hard.” I laugh “I never wanted to quit.” He flatly responds while gripping the wheel “you need to.” I go to lift my head but it falls back from feeling heavy “what about you Talmon?” He laughs “this isn't about me, me and you are from two different worlds Mandy I’m just that type, but you.” I laugh “don’t pretend to know anything about me we weren't even friends.” I feel the car come to a sharp stop and he laughs “yea, I know.” I glance him over feeling bad “Richie.” He shakes his head “don’t worry about it.” I sigh “what exactly happened?” I hear him laugh “we were guys, young and stupid, but its in the past Mandy.”