9 / Three Broomsticks

Draco gently intertwined his fingers with Jordan's, sending an array of warm shivers down her spine. He took the lead, bringing her down a street she recognized well, although she didn't have the slightest idea where he was bringing her.

"Where are you taking me?" she asked curiously, Jordan normally wasn't one for surprises, but the glint in Draco's eye made it hard for her to feel bored. Draco's hand gave a strange warmth, although it did not keep her from shivering in the cold air as the snow was beginning to stick to the window sills and rooftops.

"You'll see once we get there." he smiled as he wrapped his scarf around her shoulders to keep her warm.

As they approached the place Draco had been leading her, he covered her eyes with his hands and led her into the little shop before she could read the name.

She huffed, slightly put off by his invasive touch, although he didn't seem to notice. As they entered she tried to identify the scent, but the shop was strangely unfamiliar. It smelt not of candy or chocolate, nor did it smell of wood or stone. Neither did the sound of animals or the ring of bells fill the space in which they stood. With no clues, all she could do was wonder.

Finally, after leading her to the back of the boutique, Draco released his hands, allowing for Jordan's round, green eyes to gaze upon a magnificent ball gown. She instantly put together that she was in a dress shop and the gown before her eyes was intended for her.

She turned to catch Draco smiling at the gown proudly. "It's for you." He encouraged softly.

Jordan stayed silent as she stepped closer to the entanglement of mixed fabrics. She ran her fingers along the dark green skirt of the gown, admiring the matte, opaque fabric covering layers upon layers of tulle. She examined the corset of the matching colour and was captivated by the dramatic neckline.

She looked back at Draco, searching for answers that were not yet spoken.

He grabbed her hand, showing her the ring on her finger. "It matches the ring from your parents," the boy licked his lips with his eyes set on her delicate hand held within his own, "I was hoping that you would take up position your parents ask of you, and be my date to the Yule Ball."

Jordan often wore long sleeves that she could easily pull down to cover her ring when she was around her other friends, for Willow knew of the significance the ring held. However, as she examined the dress once more, she saw that it had no sleeves, no pockets, nothing to hide the loyalty she was pledging herself to.

Her heart throbbed in her throat, she suddenly regret the hole she had dug for herself, for the walls consist of quicksand and there was no hope of climbing out.

She felt cornered, "Draco, I—"

"It was no problem, really, anything for you." His smile shone through his bright blue eyes, "and it is custom fit for you already so you don't have to worry about a thing."

Jordan stayed speechless, unaware of what to do. If she went to the ball with Draco, she would be openly displaying her allegiance with the Slytherin boy and there would be no turning back. Her friends would have to be dead to her, and her to them, but she knew she was not ready for such commitment.

Gears in her mind turned for someone who she could take instead, to put off the distancing just a little bit longer, but who else would she go with if not Draco? All her other friends have given up on her already and she knew Michael would never ask her to go with him even if they did make amends.

"Jo," Draco whispered, "there is no one else I would rather take."

The pressure behind such a simple assembly of heartfelt words brought Jordan to do something she was not ready to do.