paper mache planes

Tumblr user awful-aus:

"We're both trapped overnight at the airport due to bad weather, do you mind if I hang out with you? The airport freaks me out at night." AU

-

Obito doesn't like traveling.

There's just something uncomfortable about frantically having to pack everything up without forgetting something, the worry you get when you can't immediately catch sight of your suitcase, the discomfort of sitting in an upright position no matter the duration of your trip (because he's not rich enough to get First Class).

However, nothing beats having to stay overnight at the airport because the weather decides to throw a one-eighty curveball at the forecasts.

He drops his hand carry bag beside him as he stares helplessly out of the giant window, the announcement still ringing loud and clear in his mind.

Snow. Seriously?

England doesn't get something like this in nearly a decade or so and the moment he has to fly back home to Japan, the sky decides to open up and dump at least ten inches of snow on to the ground, or whatever.

He just thinks that it is totally unfair. He has a home to go to and he also promised his landlord he would pay his bills tomorrow.

Cursing under his breath, Obito leans down to pick up his bag. He turns and begins to walk around aimlessly around the airport, trying to find a good spot to lay down. He thinks that it would be better to just take a nap and get time moving as quickly as it could. There's nothing else to do in this godforsaken place anyway.

After walking around for what feels like at least half an hour, he finally spots an empty bench, which happens to be underneath the display screen for future flights. It doesn't surprise him when he sees that any and all flights are canceled or delayed, or set to be re-routed since most flights are full. He makes a bee-line for the bench, putting down his bag in one of the seats and flopping down on another one.

Once settled, Obito surveys the area with one wide swipe of his head. There are a lot of others just like him, lounging around in the airport waiting for their replacement flight announcement, or frantically pacing back and forth whilst on their phones, chatting with whoever might be on the other line. He did see a couple of people just pack up and leave the place, probably heading toward the closest hotels.

He isn't exactly familiar with the places around London, but he's very sure that any place they get now isn't cheap. Obito shakes his head lightly, turning his attention back to his things and reaching for his bag to fish out a book amongst his laptops and jackets.

He doesn't even get to open it when he senses someone walk up to him, standing rather awkwardly at his feet.

At first, Obito thinks that the person is just looking up at the display screen, perhaps trying to double-check if their plane is canceled or delayed, or rerouted to another one, but after a while of silence, Obito isn't quite convinced of his own theory.

He stops fingering the edge of his book and looks up at the presence, shocked to find a blonde standing there.

"Excuse me, are you Japanese, yeah?" the person speaks in Japanese, ending it in a strange nasally grunt that Obito thinks must be a speech impediment of some sort.

Now that he mentions it, the person does look Japanese. Aside from the long mop of golden hair underneath his beanie, of course. He must have bleached it. Obito shifts the grip of his book, a collection of short stories, written in Japanese.

Of course. His appearance probably made him approach and his book just reassured him to talk.

"Yes," he replies, sitting up slightly straighter in his chair, wondering what the person might want.