1

The night was restless. It was almost impossible for Harry to get any sleep. He was plagued with nightmares and night terrors that left him sweaty and damn near screaming when he woke. Images of Cedric dying in front of his eyes, of Voldemort, of the cold and empty eyes as Serius Black was hit with the death curse.

Of his parents dying.

He gave up on sleeping around 1 in the morning. Heading over to his owl, who had been squaking and staring at Harry's previous umconcious form.

He sighed as he opened the birds cage, allowing him to step on his arm so he could pull him out and he could stand on the desk in his room.

He gazed down at the pretty white owl, grey specks dancing along his feathers.

Harry pet his wing, "least I have you with me, friend." At least he wasn't completely alone, Hedwig had always given him company. It was a relief from the years and years of being alone in this house, of being hurt over and over with no one there to witness or understand.

He typically kept his suffering to himself, but it was nice that at least one living thing knew what really went on in his life.

He got the raisin bread out from his desk drawer and pulled out a peice, holding it up for the owl to take. Raisin bread was Hedwig favorite, and because he's not often allowed to go to the store, let alone out of the house, he had to use the bread wisely. He wouldn't dare eat Hedwig favorite food.

And sometimes his only food.

“Harry potter!” Mr. Dursels booming voice sounded up the stairs, and Harry dropped the piece of raisin bread he was holding.

He quickly put Hedwig back in his cage, knowing it upset his uncle whenever he was out and didn't want to risk his Unkle hurting the bird, and rushed to sit back in his bed, quietly waiting for his over weight Uncle to unlock his door.

It was thrown open to reveal his uncles giant pink angry face, “Get up!” the ugly man spat.

Knowing full well that it was always best to do exactly what his uncle said, he got up and stood in the center of the room, up strait with his hands down and in full view. He was 15 years old, and it was the summer before the next year in Hogworts. His birthday would be next week, which was also the day he would leave for school. His body was built, muscle pressing threw the faded pajamas, raven hair unruly no matter how much he brushed or tried to tame it.

“You.” the muggle said threateningly, “I know it was you who hid the remote. I’ve searched everywhere, high and low!” he poked the boy in the chest, “Now you bloody freak, whatever trick your playing on me you better drop it right now, or I swear you won’t have not one meal for a week!” spit sprayed all over Harry as the man spoke inches from his face.

“Uncle, I swear I didn’t do anything with the remote.” He wasn’t even allowed to do magic outside of Hogwarts, and he would never abuse the rules just to prank his uncle. He was better than that.

“Liar!” The big man backhanded Harry, sending him to the ground as his glasses went across the room, he heard them crack against the wall. He seriously needed to invest in some less fragile ones.

"Did you check under the couch?" He asked, knowing full well the answer was probably no, his Unkle was too thick and burly to even get done the floor. He wouldn't have checked purely from lack of patience.

Stinging pain scattered across his cheek bone where his surprisingly strong uncle hit him and his grunted a little at the feel of it, but he got up again quickly. He put himself in his previous position and faced his uncle, pushing the pain back to the darkest corner of his mind to focus on the muggle.