Freedom from the fort

??? Pov

I watched worriedly as humans drag Spirit into the little pen to get him geared up for hat man, hearing footsteps approaching I look over seeing the small human walking up to me, not bothered by him I follow the small human outside of the pen to the post the striped human was tied to tying me to it. Huffing I glance down at the human tied to the post only to see him already looking up at and released a breath "your even more beautiful up close" shaking my head I watch as Spirit waited for the gate to open.

I started to feel more anxious watching Spirit keep trying to get hat man off his back and failing miserably, I tug at the rope wanting to help him desperately. My eyes widened seeing Spirit throw himself to the ground in a desperate attempt of getting the man off him, once he got up he stopped, his legs shaking from exhaustion. Whining I try calling out to him hoping he would move but he barely spares me a glance, neighing in sadness and worry hoping he will respond as I tug harder at the ropes thrashing around while hat man rides him around the pen talking to the humans watching in awe, he stopped in once on the other side of the pen near the three horses stomping his hoof into the ground.

 Looking at Spirit I see hat man lean over calling out to him when he grabs the reigns with his teeth pulling them out of the mans hands and reared up while the man desperately held onto Spirit's mane, he charged up the fence putting his front legs on top neighing to the people on the other side scaring them away as they shout in panic, rearing up again the man grabs Spirit's mane between his ears as Spirit turns his body to the side using the fence to break off the saddle where it flew away from him, hat man landed in front of Spirit clutching onto his mane tightly staring into his eyes with pure fear. Smirking at the man Spirit backs up rearing his front legs up pulling the man along and swung him towards the soldiers causing hat man to let go as he turned and fell onto the fence breaking it.

Neighing happily I reared up tugging harshly trying to free myself as Spirit stood up from the ground shaking away any dust glancing at me in happiness when suddenly the horses in the stalls started neighing in joy Spirit looked around at all the other horses when hat man yelled out to a man near Spirit "solider! secure that horse" as he turned towards one of the men beside him pulling out a silver object from when we first entered this place, pointing it straight at Spirit as a human grabbed the reigns holding Spirit in place. My ears going back I start crying out in panic as I try to free myself from the post, tugging as hard as I could when I heard Spirit call out to me, I look at him scared as hat man drew closer when suddenly the captured one near them broke free from the ropes going in between the two crying out a call as he hit hat mans hand causing the shot to hit the dirt instead.

Thrashing my head I hear more rope snapping and see the one by me break free get up and cut me loose from the post, both men jumped onto me and Spirit grabbing onto our necks swinging over our backs hitting men from each side, I see Spirit start to gallop and hear him call out to me "follow me!" huffing I gallop after him watching as he broke the small fence holding those three horses, them neighing in thanks and following us, up ahead a human pulled out a long object aiming it at Spirit when the human holding onto him swung over his back grabbing it from the human and flung him into horse dung. I followed Spirit from outside the stables as he jumped in determined to free all the horses here, Hearing a bang I look and see the gate at the other end of the stable open and Spirit along with all of the horses galloped out towards the gate only for Murphy to block his path, stopping in front of him Spirit smirked making him pale before he was headbutted making him fall to the ground as Spirit jumped over him to freedom while the gates opened wider with all the other horses following behind him.

Looking back Spirit nickered to the other horses "you're free now! go" they nickered back before running in different directions. Galloping faster I caught up to Spirit as we galloped back the way we came days before when suddenly the man on Spirit made a wolf howl looking past me, hearing approaching hooves I see two horses approaching us, one mare and one stallion, the human holding onto me made a owl sound and the stallion nickered at him, once close enough both men climb onto their horse before stopping in front of us blocking our path. I started to panic stepping back nervously making the man on the stallion reach out to me reassuringly, shaking my head I reared up as more humans approached and ran in between the mare and stallion freaking them out trying to get far away as possible when I hear Spirit whine worriedly "where are you going?!?" looking back at him I shake my head as I look at Spirit with tears "I'm sorry" he looked betrayed and heartbroken, neighing out to me as I galloped as fast as I could away from him

Spirit's Pov

I watched as she disappeared from view, my heart shattered as she left me, feeling the ropes go around my neck I didn't bother fighting, looking down at the ground as they led me to their home. The sun was setting by the time we arrived, I trudged along behind them sadly as the humans got off their horses and one led me to a small pen, once inside I moved away to the far back when the man who held onto me approached, I huffed glaring at him causing him to raise his hands "I'm not going to hurt you, just take the reigns off" snorting I watch as he slowly took the reigns off from behind me ears and spat out the metal rod into his hand gently, he backed off placing the reigns onto a post he looked at me sadly "we'll get her back, don't worry" turning my ears back at the mention of her I turn my head away listening to the gate opening and closing.

Hearing approaching hooves I look over and see the stallion from before walking up, he put his head over the fence and smiled nickering softly "like little creek said, we're going to try and catch her tomorrow, maybe they'll bring you along to maybe lure her out more" nodding I look at him "who are you" the stallions ears perk up at the question "I'm River, y'know that white and brown mare from before, that's Rain, she's my mate, you're name is?" bobbing my head I swish my tail "Spirit" River nods looking up at the stars "do you know the name of the mare you were with?" I huff turning to look at River "she doesn't have one" he looked at me shocked but didn't ask seeing my shake my head when he tried to ask.

(this is River, HE DOES NOT BELONG TO ME NOR DOES THE ART, CREDIT GOES TO THE ARTIST)