Chapter 9

Loki grunted as a guard pried the muzzle off his face, and he turned his  eyes upon Odin in silent defiance. There was angry rattle in his breath, but he stood stock still.

The court rose to their feet until Odin gave the command for all to be seated. He leveled his gaze with Loki's and took a breath. "You stand before the court of Asgard, to be tried as a war criminal." he declared. "Loki, son of Laufey, you have, unprovoked, attacked Jotunheim and its people, have caused destruction on Earth with the aid of the Chitauri, and have fraudulently claimed the Throne of Asgard in my slumber. Does the court have any objections to these claims?"

A resounding, "No" echoed on the smooth walls of the Throne Room.

"What says the court in favour, or against, the accused?"

One of the court members stood. "Loki's action against Jotunheim was not without provoke," he said. "He attacked in a time of war; Jotuns invaded Asgard, and tried to kill you, Allfather Odin, in your slumber. Loki rose up and killed the invading Laufey and made a counter attack."

"However," said another court member. "Loki unleashed his anger on an entire people instead of those who were invading as he rightfully should have. It was their burden to carry, not the women and children in their homes with their hands clean of such atrocities."

Jessica glanced back at Odin, who seemed to heed the debates of the court. 

Thor stood among the court. "Loki's succession of the throne, while out of place, was in my absence and your unavailability, Father," he said.

"My son-"

"But," barked another member of the court. "He did try to kill you with the Destroyer while you were on Earth, did he not?"

Thor looked unsteady. "It is my quarrel with him that he did so, not that of the court."

"Attempted murder of the royal heir is treason, and should be dealt with as such!"

The court erupted into arguments and sharp words until Odin stood from his seat. "Order, ORDER!" he bellowed. "Attempted murder of the royal heir is, indeed, treason, but the punishment for such actions is to be decided by the victim of said crime, unless he is killed, in which case his closest kin shall decide the punishment." He turned to Thor. "If you wish to seek out your own punishment on Loki, you are at liberty to do so at your own digression." Odin returned his focus to the rest of the court. "Carry on; is there anything else that must be said of Loki?"

Jessica quietly watched the crowd, and then looked at Loki, who solemnly held his gaze on Odin's feet as he spoke. This didn't look like the same Loki that attacked Earth, who had killed all those people. What had happened to him? Briefly, his eyes shifted to look at her.

"What'll I do without you?" Loki's blue-gray eyes glinted with hurt.

Jessica could hardly muster the courage to look over her shoulder at him. Hearing the pain in his voice, she couldn't bear to see it reflected on his face, too. "You'll be fine without me, Loki. You were even before I arrived in Asgard," she said, trying to chuckle to lighten her tone. 

He grasped her wrist in his hand to keep her there. "Perhaps so, but... You're my best friend. I've never felt as valued by anyone else as I have by you."

She turned back to him and pulled him into a hug, feeling him bury his face in her shoulder. "I still care about you. But this is something I need to do." He pulled back to see her face again and she grinned, however sadly. "I will always be your friend, where ever I choose to go. And should you ever need me, call me back; I'll always be at your aid."