X X I I

Blades of grass tickled Remy's bare ankles as she and Maksim made their way across the field. Hilda had given her a long-sleeved red dress that covered everything from her neck to her toes—courtesy of her magic—and now she was making a special effort not to trip over it as she tried to keep up with the warlock.

"You didn't tell me your dad was here," she said quietly after a painfully silent walk from Central Hall, in which she had been arguing with herself about whether to mention it.

Maksim stopped and turned, confusion crossing his features. He had not expected her to know.

"I saw him in Hilda's office. It wasn't difficult to work out," she explained, shrugging. "You have the same eyes."

"The only good thing he ever gave to me: my exquisite beauty," he responded coldly, his eyes shifting to the horizon. The sun was lowering in its pool of pink; soon it would be setting. Fear washed through Remy at the thought. She had been here too long, and her family was bound to have noticed by now, even if Sarah had covered for her.

"Are you alright?" She softened, taking a step towards him, her dress sweeping across the grass as she did. She was close enough to reach out to him, to comfort him, but she quietened the instinct inside her that told her to touch him. This was not why she was here.

"It makes no difference to me whether he is here or not. He is my father by blood, but not by action. Not anymore." He swallowed and his eyes turned stony as he looked down at Remy. "Besides, it's none of your concern."

Remy opened her mouth to respond, but another voice interrupted her. "Maksim!"

She searched for the source and found it in a silver-haired witch swaying towards them. Remy saw the resemblance to Tykon instantly, in her dark complexion and electric blue eyes that contrasted greatly with the red she was wearing. She was beautiful, almost as beautiful as Hecate, and Remy could not help but watch Maksim's reaction as he noticed her. She half-expected to feel jealous, half-expected to see him ogle her though she was sure Maksim had never ogled anyone in his life, but his eyes were still frozen on Remy, a tempest trapped in his gleaming irises.

Finally, he turned to the witch. "Tabitha."

The way he said her name implied he knew her well, and the way she looked back at him with a flush on her cheeks and expectancy on her features confirmed it.

Tabitha's gaze shifted to Remy, and she smiled kindly. "You must be the mortal girl I have heard so much about."

"Remy," Maksim corrected before Remy could. Flustered, he motioned to her with a gesture of so much force that she might have been knocked over if she had been stood any closer. "This is Remy. Remy, this is Tykon's younger sister, Tabitha."

"I'm so sorry for your loss," Remy nodded softly. "It's nice to meet you. I didn't know Tykon had a sister."

"I no longer live in Astracia. I haven't for long time."

Maksim's eyes narrowed at something behind her; Tykon, and still clutching onto his arm beside him, Annika. His lips were downturned, his features carved into a mask of fury.

"I thought I made it clear that I did not want to see you, let alone here," he muttered through gritted teeth, pulling his arm from Annika's grasp. "Why are you here, Maksim?"

"You are my friend, Tykon. I wanted to pay my respects to you and your family."

"I asked him to come," Tabitha said to her brother softly, placing a manicured hand on his tensed arm. Another flicker of jealousy ignited in Remy's stomach at her words, but she extinguished it quickly.