Cold

The cold voice jolted her into the present.

Pearl finally realized why she was here and what she was about to do.
The motive behind her actions were there but that didn't make the process any easier.

"W-what do you mean?"

"I think I said that very clearly Miss Hayes. I do not like repeating myself."

Pearl processed his words slowly. The man was like a piece of stone, she thought bitterly, no emotions or empathy.

The thought must have been evident on her face because in the next moment came an even colder reply.

"I do not particularly care for your comfort or your situation. I am a businessman Miss Hayes and you'll do good by remembering it. I paid good money for you. I do not care to see it wasted."

Taking a shaky breath, she stepped inside the room and closed the door.

......

Ambrose watched with impassiveness as the girl crossed the room with timid steps.
She was not very beautiful, much less endowed to be said so in the eyes of the society.
And there was also the small fact that she was a half breed.

A mulatto, as some called her.

"You said you wanted a girl..." she started slowly, "... Any girl, so Madame sent me."

He remained silent.

"Color doesn't matter, only what's between my legs does. I won't complain... Just don't send me away..."she ended in a desperate plea.
"I know no gentleman would ever think about it, but please, I won't cost much and I'll make it worth your while and... and..."

Ambrose raised his hand to stop her from her rambling.

"The deed which requires doing does not specify color or sex."

That's weird, Pearl thought, does that mean he's one of those...

"And the work needs to be done tonight, so I will ask you not to waste my time any more."

Pearl took a deep breath and started removing her clothes.

" Oh, and Miss Hayes I will not be paying you for the usual activities. My employment is of a rather different nature."

That got her blood boiling. She was already on the tethers, and his cool tone sent her over the edge.

"Now listen here Mister, I ain't gonna do everything and anything you tell me to!! I might be a slave's daughter, but I have pride! I have honor! I won't be doing anything dirty for a bugger like you. You can go stick it up your...."

"One more word and you can consider yourself dismissed Miss. Hayes."
Mr. Ambrose said in a dangerously low voice.

"I will not be paying you to insult me. I require your service and will pay you for it."
He said turning his back on her.

"And when I said my employment is different, I meant different than the useless amorous activities that goes on here. Rest assured, I am not after your virtue." He finished in the same tone one says 'No, thank you' to the second helping of a particularly gruesome lettuce salad.

Suffice to say, that got her attention. while she was immensely happy to be spared the ordeal, a part of her bristled at the condescending tone.

After all, the man looked like Adonis.

"What do you need me for then?"

"I am in need of an assistant, for the time being. A girl would be inconspicuous enough, but she must use the brains god gifted her. Do you understand?"

His intensity was making her squirm, but she needed the money. So she nodded in response.

"I said, Do you understand?"

"Y-yes sir."

"Adequate. Now let's get to work."

.......

"Bring me file number BX39005"

Pearl hurried through the now messy room to find that particular file. It had been like that all night.

Now the dark sky has distilled to pale gray, but still the man went on, moving from one file to the other.
The whirlpool of pages seem to be never ending.

Yet she did not complain. Fetching files was after all much easier than what she had in mind.

To Mr Ambrose the girl was adequate. He needed help, and even the help of an inferior female was better than nothing. Especially if the pay was low.

But the girl's mind seemed much better than that of the infernal creatures of the other sex. She was as subservient as required, yet not without wit.
It must have something to do with being a slave's daughter, concluded Ambrose.

"There you go, sir. Your file. As request. If I may..."

"If you're looking for a break Miss. Hayes, I must disappoint."
Came the reply.

"Not at all Sir , I was just wondering what a man like you is doing among these folks."

"Wonder at your own time. Now if you please, bring that chair and sit down."
he said, without pausing he continued.
"Last night's work was mere child's play. If you wish to continue working for me, I suggest you get used to hardships."

Well there's one way to look at things, throught Pearl snidely. She had hardly sat down for one minute the entire night, her feet were killing her and she was sure her face had that puffy look with red eyes.

Suffice to say, she was dead on her feet.

With a fleeting yet scorching glance at her state he continued.

"My company is dangerous, tiring and I will not be paying you extra. That being said, if you wish to continue.... speak with your Madame without going into the specifics. My nature of employment need not be known by anyone else."

Pearl nodded hastily, barely stifling the enormous yawn about to escape her lips.
For a moment she found him staring at her lips, but the next moment his stormy eyes were as impassive as ever.

Mr. Ambrose cleared his throat and when he spoke again it was with a hint of hesitation,
"Get some rest, and be here tonight at 8 pm sharp."

Pearl gathered that she was now dismissed, gathering her things she was nearly out of her door when she heard, "Oh and try to look as if you have had a stimulating night. It would not do to have the other girls second guess your statement." 

With that he closed the door on her face.

Oh that insufferable man! thought Pearl, with the barest hint of a smile in her scowl.

........

Votes, reads and reviews appreciated!!

If any of you think Mr Ambrose is softer here, that's because he's still young and is yet to turn into that immoveable piece of granite we've come to love.