2

Bree woke slowly. The blanket was itchy and a little rough. Constantly shifting only made it harder to sink back into sleep.

Something rustled distantly.

She froze. Waited.

Rustle

Heart hammering, Bree slowly sat up. The blanket clung to her and wouldn't slide down. She brushed it off and went still.

Rustle

It was coming from the living room or kitchen, beyond the door. Bree got to her feet and yanked it open.

Shelly was in the kitchen pouring coffee into a cup. "Morning."

Bree hadn't realized she was holding her breath until she let it out for her response. "Morning." She walked over to the kitchen table and sat down. With a yawn, she looked her friend over. "Sleep okay?"

"Mhmm." Shelly smiled at her and poured a second cup. "I did. I appreciate you staying here. It's nice not to be alone." She brought the two cups over and set one of them in front of Bree.

She leaned over, pulling the cup closer and idly grabbing a pen with her free hand. She breathed in deep. "Fuckin coffee."

"Fuckin right."

Bree looked up surprise written across her face. And maybe a little hope. Shelly had a slight smile, eyes closed as she breathed in and then drank from her own cup. Her sigh was content. She held the coffee in her mouth for a while before finally swallowing. Bree did the same, relishing the bitter, hot liquid, eager for the jolt of caffeine and trying not to tear up. Her vision was blurry with building tears.

"Whats wrong?" Shelly stared at her with concern.

"Nothing." Bree wiped at her eyes. "That's how we used to talk. Haven't talked liked that in a long time."

Shelly blushed, but couldn't keep the smile down. "It wasn't much."

"I don't care. It's enough." Bree cleared her throat. She stared at the pen in her other hand for a moment. It sat there expectantly, waiting. She'd reached out to pick up and now held it with the building sensation of unease that it wasn't doing what it was supposed to do. Bree set it back on the table and the feeling abated.

"It felt good. I really feel like things are going to be alright now."

"Mmmm." Bree smiled and tried to clear her throat again. "I'm so glad you feel that way. I feel like everything is gonna be alright too." Another rough cough. There was a rough liquid film in her throat, feeling of phlegm. "Did you put cream in the coffee?"

Shelly smiled softly. "No. Just the brew."

Bree coughed roughly again. "I think I need something else." She got up and poured a glass of water, drinking it quickly. Eventually the film clinging to her throat cleared. "Better." When she turned to look at Shelly, her friend was still drinking her coffee with a slight smile, staring at the place Bree had been sitting.

She chugged the last of the water. Some dribbled over the corner of her mouth over her chin to the counter. Bree grabbed a paper towel and wiped her chin. "I'm really glad." She cleared her throat again and went to toss the paper towel in the garbage. Bree paused.

The top of the garbage was disheveled. The containers were still on top, corners standing out like peaks on a topographical map with valleys deep in the shadowed cavities of resting debris. But the white containers of were pushed further against one side, the whole top looking fluffed out as if just dropped on top rather than crushed down. She dropped the paper towel on it and leaned in. I compacted this last night.