Lullaby

Auditions, later that day

"What are you singing?" Molly pestered.

"You'll see. You probably won't even recognize it." I shrugged.

"Please?" She pouted.

"Look, it's just an old song my dad sang to me to put me to bed when I was probably like 6. I don't even know how I remember the words." I informed her.

"Fine." She sighed.

Mr. Robinski auditioned in order of age, so we were right after the guy onstage now, who was singing Blood In the Water from Legally Blonde. He was really good, but I think he'll be in ensemble, maybe Cal.

"Molly Johnson?" Mr. Robinski's voice sailed to the back of the auditorium.

"You'll do great, girlie." I shot her a wink as she walked up the aisle to the stage.

"Hi, I'm Molly Johnson, auditioning for the role of Dawn, and I'll be singing the song I Love Play Rehearsal from the musical Be More Chill." The piano started, and Molly's bubbliness took over.  She was bouncing, twirling, and getting the dialogue in the short time flawlessly. Christine definitely reminded me of both Dawn and Molly, and I knew that whatever part she got in this show, it would be a great one.

"We're starting soon..." She ended the last note perfectly in tune, and I saw Mr. Robinski scribble something on his notepad. A round of applause rose from the other kids, and Molly walked offstage to talk to Robinski about missing practice and the other boring stuff.

I watched Molly come back up the aisle as my name was called. "Maya Porter?" She gave me a high five as I headed onstage.

"My name is Maya Porter, auditioning for Jenna, and I'll be singing the song Lullaby by Trout Fishing in America." I took a deep breath and started to sing.

All at once I was 6 years old again, complaining about having to go to bed. My dad just smiled, put me up on his shoulders, and pretended to be an airplane on the way to my room. He'd tuck me in tightly, wrapping the covers under my feet like a mummy, then sit on the side of my bed and sing this song, or make up songs and verses to Lullaby, till I fell asleep.

"Dragons in the sky..." I held out my arms and raised my face to the sky, hearing my dad's voice echo the lyrics.

"Just go to sleep now, close your eyes..." I opened my eyes and quickly nodded, signaling that I was done. Quiet clapping came from the audience.

"Ms. Porter, I didn't get a chance to tell you on Monday, but you did incredible." Mr. Robinski smiled at me.

"Thank you." I returned his smile, and he looked down at his paper.

"Any conflicts with rehearsal from 4-8?" He asked.

"Nope."

"Great. Just get a signature here, and bring it back by next Monday, when rehearsals start. The cast list will be posted on Friday." He shuffled his papers and I started to walk away.

"Oh, and Maya?"

"Huh?"

"The booth is going to miss you."

I took a deep breath, and walked back to Molly, who was holding my bag out for me.

"You'll be a great Jenna, I'll get Dawn, and I'm hoping Paige gets Becky." She grinned.

Paige was my best friend in elementary school. Nothing really happened between us, we just drifted apart.

"She would be a great Becky, but I'm probably not going to get Jenna." I shrugged. "You will, though. Robinski loved your audition." I pointed out.

"Yeah, but I asked to be Dawn."

"He'll put you in whatever role he sees fit. I think you'll end up as Jenna. You have been in these shows the most religiously anyways."

"Fine, you can think whatever you want. But if I'm right, I am so saying I told you so." She nudged me.

"Right back at you."

"Pinkie promise?" She stuck out her pinkie.

"And lock it." We pressed our thumbs together.

A/N: There is another Aspen chapter in the works, but I might post a few Maya chapters because I have some good ideas I don't want to forget. I've always loved Lullaby, and I figured this was a good place to put it, since I have memories of my aunt singing it to me at our cabin when I was little. See you soon lovelies!💜