Eye Fell For You

Camila walked up to her locker, putting in the combination with a dull look on her face before pulling the door open. She huffed at her reflection in her locker mirror, frowning at the eye patch she was wearing. The eye patch she had been wearing for years. And now she was going to have another day of humiliation all thanks to her old neighbor's damn dog.

Back when she was in elementary school, Camila was playing with the new pet when the neighbor accidentally ran his tail over with her scooter. Instead of attacking the one who ran him over, he attacked the closest person to him, that being little Camila who was just minding her own business and lying on the cement while she drew with chalk.

No, she didn't lose an eye or anything. She just used the eye patch along with her bangs to cover the length of the blemish that appeared there. A thick scar ran from her eyelid, down to her cheek a bit, and then back up to her temple. You could tell exactly where the dog clawed at her face.

She wasn't even embarrassed by the scar at first. Everyone had scars. They weren't usually as big and as in your face as hers, but they were something that happened to everyone at least once in their lifetime. It wasn't until middle school when she was dubbed "Scar Face" that it got to her.

And of course the dumb name followed her through for the next four years of her life, so she started using the eye patch in high school in hopes to cover it up from newer people who didn't know she had a scar. But it was a small town and the majority of the kids from her middle school went to high school with her, and by then the nickname had been used for so long, no one bothered to change it.

Now a junior in high school, Camila sat at the very bottom of the school's hierarchy, even lower than the geeks and freshman.

For some reason, this one little flaw was more frowned upon than the kids that got lost on their first day of school or the ones who got their own boogers stuck in their braces.

For some reason, a mean nickname followed her to high school even after everyone who peed their pants in middle school or tripped on stage at the talent show got away with it. She wished she could give a great big 'fuck you!' to whoever started calling her Scar Face and decided her popularity place, but it had been so long and so many people joined in that she couldn't remember who started it.

Maybe wearing an eye patch was a little dramatic on Camila's part, but at least when people would stare at her; she knew they were staring at the eye patch and not an irremovable blemish on her face. And making fun of an eye patch she could deal with. She could not deal with people making fun of something that she couldn't control.

Before she shut her locker, Camila adjusted her eye patch to cover the bottom of the scar that was peeking through and combed her fingers through her hair in attempt to cover more of her face. When she heard footsteps approaching she tensed. Usually people left her alone but on occasion someone would walk up to her to make sure she heard their teasing words.

"Excuse me, Ms. Cabello." The principal spoke, pronouncing in the L's in her last name. Camila turned around, relaxing a little. Her principal was standing with a girl she didn't recognize. "I need to get to the locker below yours to show it to Ms. Jauregui here."

Without making eye contact with the girl or making a sound, she nodded and stepped aside.

"Ms. Jauregui is a new student." He said, handing the girl a paper, most likely the combination to her locker. "Be sure to give her a warm Wildcat Welcome." He added before walking away.

The girl glanced at Camila for a split second – not long enough to get a good look at her – before crouching down on her knees and carefully putting in the combination. She nicely set up the books that were in her arms in the previously empty locker, making them look nice and neat.