Chapter 6: Lighter Hearing

The door was ephemeral yet very much tangible. It danced in Jackson's vision, a million worms writhing within the wooden frame. He felt lightheaded, from both anxiety and a sudden headache. One probably caused by the anxiety. Yeah, Jackson wasn't having a great time.

If only he could work up the courage to knock on the door. He could hear voices inside; it was 10:00, a full hour after the party was supposed to start. Apparently, Selina's parents were away for the weekend with business in Portland. Jackson couldn't help but think throwing a party while they were gone was a little trite, but his headache prevented him from diving deep into any one inconsistency. It was small miracle his mom allowed him to be out this late, taking a threefold attack of absence guilt, the "I'm almost in college" maneuver, and his infamous half truth stratagem to convince her. It was exhilarating to have tricked his parents, but in all honesty, he didn't think he did. It was one thing to lie to classmates that barely knew you, but his parents knew all his verbal ticks.

Not that they knew his power. They probably suspected Jackson has a superpower he didn't want to talk about, but that's no rare thing for parents to encounter, especially in Vera City.

Inching just a little closer, Jackson continued hallucinating horrible monsters in the doorway, any reason for him to stay away. Who cares that Selina was nice enough to think of inviting him, he only had to spend another year at that damn school. Graduate and all his burnt bridges would look a lot more like tactical retreats.

"Hey, dude, what are you doing just standing out here?" A voice said, startling Jackson. The voice had come from a short blonde teen behind him, one he did not recognize. He was with a girl of an identity also unknown to Jackson, who from her haunted expression looked as if she had been dragged along unwillingly. "You going in?" the boy asked.

"Yeah. Sorry," Jackson apologized, stepping out of their way. The boy looked at Jackson funnily but smiled in a warm, not at all condescending way, which considering the situation is not what he had expected.

The boy wrapped his arm around Jackson's shoulder and started walking towards the door. "Well then what are we waiting for. Let's get movin'!"

The girl kept pace behind them, scolding the boy. "Chase, don't be rude."

"Ah, he'll thank me later Sam," Chase responded, brushing off her complaint.

And before either could say another word, they were at the door and Chase was knocking on it.

There was an awkward pause between when the knocking occurred and when the door was opened. The three of them shuffled their feet silently while Chase let go of Jackson. They say there's a lull in conversation every seven minutes, but Jackson was certain it had barely been thirty seconds since he had encountered this bunch.

"So..." he breached, making small talk, "You guys know Selina?"

"No." "Sorta."

Sam hit Chase, causing him to blurt out a hasty, "I mean, no." Jackson figured that was enough prying.

When the door finally opened, it was Selina who greeted them. "I thought I had seen someone sitting out there for no reason!" she said. "Come on in Jackson, and. Uh..."

Chase was about to reach his hand out to introduce himself, but Sam stopped him and instead introduced them to her. "I'm Samantha, and this is Chase," she said.

"Did... you invite them?" Selina asked Jackson, with a pained expression.

"Never seen them before," he responded.

Her face instantly brightened. "Alright, well get in here! And, you two." Before she could finish speaking, Chase and Samantha were inside the house, out of eye and earshot over pumping music. "Well never mind then. Come on in, let's get you a drink."