Heavy breathing and broken trust

Our footsteps resonated through the vast space of the building as we paced.They bounced off the walls that breathed with a certain severity and earnestness,as I felt slightly out of place. People came and went as we walked. Some serious,some sad,some angry and some furious...but all in all,it seemed to me all of them had one thing in common as I realised something similar reflected in Chris' eyes that morning as well.

My eyes were steady on Chris' back as we walked out of the courtroom,almost hypnotised by the way his dark locks danced on the fabric of his jacket. That morning's biggest achievement was talking a bad-tempered Chris into wearing a suit jacket and pulling his mane together in a rubber band. It really was the least I could do to prevent the judge from showing him out of the courtroom before he'd even have the time to pronounce his name.

However,the combat boots,torn apart black jeans and an Alice in Chains T-shirt were off limits.

I observed Chris' features change from calm to furious in a split second,the moment she refused to sign his belongings back to him. A few old guitars,a few records and some other music equipment were now another thing that was off limits.

Suzan's stare made me feel out of place,I could feel it burning on my face as I gripped on Chris's arm when he shouted at her when she claimed her right on his belongings. She didn't seem to even notice his reaction,focusing on to shooting a venomous glare at me instead. I wondered whether it might have been her way of telling me I was the reason of his unhappiness.

Still,she was now out of the frame of his life...as I still dwelled on the right words to say to him. Was I even supposed to show my compassion and support when I knew nothing about this whole situation at all? After all,everything I knew was introduced to me by Chris. I simply didn't want to sniff around something that had nothing to do with me.

It takes two to ruin a union.

I decided that simply being there and walking behind him with my eyes on his back would do.

"Thank you for everything you've done,I know you did your best." Chris stated as he greeted his lawyer,before he finally turned around and looked at me with cold eyes that quickly softened as they met mine.

"Walk with me?" he simply asked,a smile slightly curling the corner of his lips.

"Always." I answered,a broad smile adorning my face as our palms slid against one another's in a tight grip.

In complete silence,we walked beside the many piers down by the green looking waters of Elliott Bay,our eyes scanning over the many boats that were docked as tourists awaited the next panoramic ride. For once,the sun was up and shining over the forest of gray concrete that was Seattle. It reflected off the sea as it transformed into speckles of luminous shadows on its waves.

The only proof of him being here in the form of his gentle grip on my palm.

I hardly even noticed we had reached all the way to the docks of Waterfront Park when his feet stood steady in place as he turned to face me.

"Wanna go for a ride?" he asked,his eyes smiling brighter than his lips as his hand motioned over to the Seattle Great Wheel that rose above the many buildings.

"On that thing? Never." I said as my body shivered under the thought of being high amongst the clouds.

"Oh,little Chloe's afraid of heights,I see." he joked,his arm sliding over my shoulders as he pulled my body into his.

"No,stupid. It's just I'd rather sit by the water and soak up the sun.My skin desperately needs it...this town has turned me into an albino." I laughed and he followed me into it.