Chapter 11 (C)

Note: To anyone worrying that any of this was Scott's fault, I assure you it's not. He didn't drop Tessa while they were skating, but something else did happen...

--- 2008 ---

 Next came the surgery. Tessa's pain had become chronic.  

"We need to operate if you ever want to skate competitively again," said the surgeon. "The constant strain that is exerted to your lower body has become cumbersome. Skating professionally, Ms. Virtue, has hurt your body significantly. We cannot ignore these signs."

The procedure was conducted to reduce the pressure on her calves. Scott became restless, worried that he had done this to her. He stayed with her in the hospital, despite the doctors telling him to go home. As he tried to eat his burger, he felt nauseous. Terrible thoughts plagued his mind.

What if she doesn't make it?

...

"Scott, you have to focus," Marina stressed.

He didn't know how to skate without Tessa. Chiddy skated singles, but Scott hadn't skated alone ever since he met her. It had only been a day, but he longed to gaze into her eyes, that were so shamrock. Almost as if she were his good luck charm. Scott wasn't superstitious, Tessa was, but right now, any stroke of luck would have helped him.

"Scott, I know. You miss her, but you my boy - you have so much. So much to do." Marina extended her arms, "World championships, Olympics maybe. Anything. You have to skate for her right now. You have to think for her."

He nodded, unsure of how to think for the woman he never quite understood. A woman he couldn't compare to. She was the heart of the show, he just held her hands and lifted her wings. What did Tessa want him to do?

There was one lifeline left to call: Danny Moir, his brother.

...

"Scottie, at least you know now. She's in the safest place she could be, and the doctors caught it before it grew. Imagine if she had become paralysed-", his brother insisted.

"Don't, Dan."

"I'm just saying, there's nothing you did wrong." 

"But I could've-"

"You didn't know. You can't feel her pain for her."

"But she never said anything."

"She probably didn't want to worry you."

That silenced him. There was a long pause before Scott spoke again,

"Look Dan, I gotta go. Thanks for the talk." He rushed, ending the call.

 Did Tessa not trust him? Did she not feel comfortable enough to tell him that she was in such excruciating pain? Would she rather break her body than be honest with him? It made him question what they had at all between them.

---

Part III of many. 2008 is a crucial part of Tessa and Scott's relationship, so please be patient with me. Thank you for all of your support, I never imagined that so many of you would care enough to read my work. Feel free to ask and discuss anything here, and may there be much more VirtueMoir to enjoy! 

Twitter: twitter.com/CelestialHolmes