Two:

It's been two months since I lectured Steven about his depressive state. It didn't help, in fact, it got so much worse. He turns all his attention to girls, he consumes himself with a new girl each week, and he doesn't say a word to me or my parents. They've shouted at him, they've tried to get him to counselling and they've given him almost every punishment available, and yet, he dresses in his leather jacket, stays out until two in the morning, and doesn't say a word to any of us and it hurts.

I've gone to my own counsellor, as have both my parents. I've tried to write Steven messages, I've tried to push myself somehow into his life in every way possible and yet, he continually ignores me, as if I don't exist. It feels like I'm on the shore and he's on a boat, and no matter how much I try to swim to get to the boat, it keeps going faster, leaving me alone and helpless in a deadly sea. It feels like I'm drowning and losing him all over again. Except, this guy isn't Steven. This guy, isn't the one who I used to know. I don't understand what is going on inside his head, and no matter how much I try to help, he builds up more and more walls that are impossible to climb. I'm too tired to try anymore.

I look down at the dirty cheerleading uniform I'm wearing. We just had a big game we were cheering for, and I'm driving home in my car. As one of Steven's many attempted punishments, they have banned him from using the car, and they have stopped giving him money. How he manages to stay out and come back home until 2am every night, I'm not sure. I've tried looking for him. I've been to the beach, to his spot in the park and almost every other favourite place I have ever known him to have and nothing. It's like he disappears.

I walk into my room and open the box full of Steven's football stuff. It has become somewhat of a comfort to help me remember him - how he used to be at least. He's locked his bedroom door, and I check every night to see if he's forgotten to lock it, but he never does. As I check on it again, I find that it's locked, and I lecture myself for trying to believe anything would be different. I look down at my hand. I'm still holding his shirt. It has a number 8 on it, with Daniels written on the back. It's white and has some detail in red.

On impulse, I pull the shirt over my head, I can smell him still. I'm going to wear this tomorrow.

~~~~~~~
The next morning, I'm true to my word. I throw the shirt over my head, along with some jeans, and Adidas. I tie my hair up in a ponytail and walk down the stairs. My parents look heartbroken as per usual. I smile at them sadly.

Then I notice something is different. Something is wrong. He usually sits on the couch in the corner, his headphones blasting music, and he ignores us. He's not there. Steven didn't come home last night, and somehow, this hurts worse than everything else. My mom is crying again. My dad is looking off into the distance, it's like we've lost him all over again.

"I'm going to school." I whisper, my parents both look at me, "I love you both, and I'm going to find a way in. I promise. I will."

I grab my school bag and my car keys and drive to school. I turn the music up loud so I can't hear myself think. It's an escape from him. I can't anymore. I rest my head on the steering wheel as I reach the school and burst into tears. How could he? How could he do this to us? To my parents? To me? Why can't he just let me in?

I'm in the car for several minutes, before I realise that I'm late for class. I try to wipe my face, but my eyes are red and puffy, but I honestly don't care anymore. He must see me like this. He must see that even though he thinks he is the only one with pain and baggage, so are we. It's like we lost him all over again.

I walk into class, apologise to the teacher and take my seat. I look over to the one next to me. He's there. Steven is sitting there and he looks at me, and then looks away. On the other side of me sits Allison who looks extremely concerned. She eyes my shirt, and then eyes Steven next to me. Her eyes narrow.

"Was it him?" She mouths. I nod sadly.

"I'm going to murder him slowly and painfully." She half whispers half shouts.

Class ends painfully and slowly. After class, Allison pulls me in for a hug.

"I think we should bunk today, we have no practice after school, I'll go tell our friend in the office what's happening, okay?" Allison says and leads me off. "Wear that shirt more often, okay? It affected him somehow. I could see it. He froze, dead in his tracks. This could be the key." She states, rubbing my arm slowly.

We wait outside the principal's office. Yes. He happens to be the friend in the office. Cross fingers.

"Come in." Comes his voice. Allison looks at me and nods. We walk in together.

"Please sit down girls." Principal Garret says and points towards the two chairs.

I sit down and wait. I hope Allison says something soon.

"Dad," She starts, "We wanna bunk school today."

"No. Absolutely not. Why on earth would you want to do that?" Principal Garret, otherwise known as Allison's Dad said sternly.

"Steven." I whisper.

"Why on earth would you need to skip school because of your brother?" He asks. I bite my lip. No Melissa. You can't cry. Don't.

"Dad, if you won't let us bunk, we are going to do it anyway, so just so you know, we are going to get ice cream, and see a counsellor." Allison states, matter of factly.

"A counsellor? Allison, is there something that you aren't telling me? Why on earth do you need a counsellor?" He looks flabbergasted.

"Steven has changed completely Dad, and he didn't come home last night. He stays out until 2 am and then appears home, doesn't say a word. It's like he's died. Melissa came in late because she was crying. So Dad, please." Allison begged.

"No. I will call a counsellor here, you do not need to exit off the school grounds. Does 10:30 sound good for an appointment then?"

"No."

"11?"

"No."

"11:30?"

"No dad, I'm the one doing the counselling okay? We need to bunk, and so if your answer is no, we will see Mrs Watson in detention on Monday afternoon then?" Allison states. Her dad narrows his eyes and gives a long sigh.

"As your father, I am allowing you to bunk," he pauses, looking at us both in the eye, "But as your headmaster, I will expect you in detention on Monday morning because you girls have practice in the afternoon. If word gets out, I swear you too will be in so much trouble, you won't know what hit ya."