Starry Walls

They were married on February 7, 1959. The wedding was small, and Henrik knew Lorelei was disappointed in the size of it, that she had envisioned more. But he also knew that she understood why it couldn't be bigger. Neither of them made enough money to buy all the small tidbits that would make the wedding seem larger. And neither of them had enough surviving family members or friends to invite to the ceremony anyway.

All in all, Henrik wasn't too concerned.

Though their ceremony had been short, Henrik and Lorelei now both proudly wore a ring signifying their love. It was more then Henrik could have ever asked for. Since he and Lorelei already lived together they only planned on moving her things into his room, having nothing fancy since it was already their home together. That didn't stop Henrik from walking Lorelei over the threshold of their home once they'd returned. Nor did it stop him from showing her how much he loved her later that night.

...

Six months after their marriage, in August, Lorelei was confirmed to be two months pregnant. Henrik was ecstatic, he was going to be a father with Lorelei, his beautiful Verführerische Zauberin... And yet she seemed put off by the idea when it was first confirmed. Perhaps she was nervous about the pregnancy, it was going to be harder to raise a child in this world.

The two had gradually got more and more excited, however, and by the time Christmas was there Lorelei was healthily huge with her child, and the two were finally settling on names, Greta if the child was a girl, and Peter is the child was a boy. The couple enjoyed their Christmas as they normally would, but with many more gifts from friends for the babe, ranging from dummies and nappies to toys and clothes for the baby's first year.

As they entered the new year, 1960, the couple was happily getting ready. Well, Henrik was getting ready, using all his free time to set up the baby's room and make sure everything was in order. Lorelei mostly sat on the bed, as she was getting far too big to move around too much. 

As the first month of the year slowly passed by, Henrik was working as much as he could, hoping he'd be able to take a while off work to spend time with his new baby, even if they were short-staffed at the moment, there was a reason they hired him without obvious schooling, but no matter. He had always learned better by doing anyway, never did well by just sitting and studying. He now sat back on heels with a breath as he wiped his arm over his forehead and admired the work he'd been doing at home.

He had taken a brush and had started painting small designs along the bottom of the wall in the nursery, little stars that he planned to expand along the entirety of the one wall. He had just finished shuffling across the bottom with the smallest most smushed together stars, and once he reached the top they would be larger and farther spaced. He smiled in satisfaction when he heard a happy little chuckle from behind him.

Henrik turned with a smile to his beautiful wife, standing and brushing his hands on his pants before stepping closer, "Hello, leibchen," he said with a soft laugh as he tugged her as close as he could with the unborn babe between them, "And hello, herzchen," he said in a soft coo to her round belly, his hands trailing over the curve lovingly.

"Henrik, what on earth are you doing in here so late? You have to work in the morning, and I'm lonely," Lorelei said with a small, playful pout. Henrik rolled his eyes and pressed a kiss to her cheek.

"I was adding some finishing touches to the baby's wall, they'll be here within the next month and I want to finish before that happens. It just wouldn't do to have the baby sleep in an unfinished room," he said, "But not to worry, I'm sure I could spare some time to sleep with my lovely wife."

"Well then come along, Henrik," she said, tugging his arm. Henrik chuckled and rolled his eyes.

"A moment, verführerische zauberin, I must cover up the paint pail so it does not dry on us," he said with a smile. She smiled and nodded at him, her hands trailing over his as she stepped away and he smiled back, watching as she turned to their bedroom, slow and careful of her belly, and walked in. He shook his head fondly and stepped back into the nursery to close the paint. He sighed happily before going to join his wife.

...

It was no less than a month later, a couple weeks after their first wedding anniversary that their newborn babe was born. A son, Peter Schneeplestein, born February 26th, 1960. The birth had been a long one, and Lorelei had insisted on having a home birth. So Peter was born to them in their home, something Henrik hadn't thought would be special till it happened.

He was sure the memory of holding his small, tiny, newborn son in his arms and naming him with a shaky voice as he held back tears of joy would be one he would look back upon forever. Peter was just so... so tiny and small, and his little hands kept latching onto his fingers in the most adorable way.

"Lorelei..." he said softly, "Lorelei do you want to hold your baby boy?" he asked, his voice as quiet and sincere as ever as he smiled shakily at his wife. Tear tracks were still visible on her face but she nodded hastily and held her arms out, silently begging him. He gently maneuvered the small boy into his mother's arms and smiled as his wife cradled their newborn child for the first time.

"Oh, my Peter, my little Peter," she said in a wavering voice, "My little Peter..."