she teaches him to laugh

“Hey shit face.”

     I sigh as I walk into my kitchen to grab some food, Harry sitting at the counter, popping marshmallows into his mouth. Honestly, who even knows with this guy anymore? “That doesn’t even make sense to call me that, seeing as we’re twins and my face is your face. Genius.” I snap at him, pulling out an apple from the fridge.

        Harry looks shocked, up until now I have accepted his cruel words as punishment but I was done with that now. “Well what gave you all this false confidence? I hope one somewhat hot girl sitting next to you at lunch didn’t get your hopes up. A girl like that would never go for a girl like you.”

        I roll my eyes at him calling me a girl, “Oo, burn.” I say sarcastically, “Well, she’s the only girl in the school who has been able to call you on exactly what you are. A giant tool bag.”

        “Being a tool is still better than being a snake.” Harry snaps at me, his voice raising. Normally I would back down at this point but I just shake my head.

        “I suggest you shut up or mom is gonna find out about your tattoos.” I throw over my shoulder as I exit the room and go upstairs to collapse on my bed. I can’t help but think about Diana. What a strange girl. Are all Americans like that? And what American in their right mind would choose to move to Holmes Chapel? Why not someplace exciting like London?

        I work on my homework for a few hours before there is a knock at my door, “Come in!” I call, knowing it was my mom. Harry doesn’t knock.

        “Hey sweetheart,” My mom smiles as she comes in and sits down on my bed beside me, having to push away some of my papers from school. She sighs, taking of her scarf and rubbing her temples.

        “Long day at work?” I ask, standing up and stepping into the Jack and Jill bathroom that Harry and I share. I pour a cup of water then walk back in, handing it to her before sitting back down.

        “Thanks and yeah, it was… tiring.” My mom rubs the back of her neck but her tired face is soon replaced by the cheerful front she often puts up, especially when Harry was around. Harry couldn’t handle seeing mom so exhausted after dad left so mom started to act like she was fine. But I knew better. I was the oldest, the man of the house. It was my job to know about this stuff and keep her going. “But I heard from Harry that there’s a new girl at school. An American. Have you talked to her yet?”

        “Yeah, actually. She sat with me at lunch today. She’s… Well, she’s something. Her name is Diana Rivera.” I write down some answers to formula’s for maths. “She’s completely insane but kind of in a good way, you know?”

        “Hmm, that’s nice.” My mom says a bit absentmindedly, and I feel bad. She must be exhausted, I should let her get to sleep but she would only feel bad if I told her to go to bed.

        “Well, I’ve got a ton of homework to do and I think Harry is going out with Lily tonight.” I lie about my homework, it was just about done. And Harry wasn’t exactly a lie, he and his girlfriend Lily went out almost every night.

        “Okay, I’ll talk to you later, sweetheart. Love you.” She kisses the top of my head then exits my room. 

        When I’m finished with my homework I decide to go out and get some food, seeing as Harry always eats all of my food, the twit. I change out of my dress shirt and pants, pulling my tie off. Harry and I go to a private school, though Harry usually chose to dress a bit more on the casual side and the girls have way more freedom. I slipped on a pair of jeans and a grey t-shirt, rolling the sleeves up. I keep my hair gelled back just because that’s the only way people tell Harry and I apart, aside from my huge glasses which I also kept on.