11. Lure

That burning sensation I feel as his gaze shifts from a corner to mine, it's boiling. An insurmountable amount of fire that slowly turns me into ashes.  

He lets go and just like the light bulb that needs power, our bodies turn into our normal colors but the sensation stays.  

Am I his imprint or are we woven into cross paths and build something that is already carved by the fates? Or maybe I am overthinking. Again. 

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe I'm not wrong. 

The first instinct I have is to run. Run. Yes, I have to run and get away from this burning yet soothing sensation.  I feel like this prickle in my chest signifies something. 

Danger. 

Dad has always warned us not to engage in something suspicious. This inner stir he's bringing me could lure me into a trap. I can sense it. I can feel it. My instinct tells me. 

May pagkakataon pa ako para umatras at bumalik sa wagon. O kaya'y tumakbo patungong crucible. Isabel, may be, just may be knows the answer. 

He raised an eyebrow as he looks back from his shoulder. 

I swallow the lump on my throat and follow his way. 

"You can't go back. Squads are hunting you." 

"Squads? L-like your kind?"

"Yes. They'd feast on you," mahinahon ang  boses nito habang naglalakad patungo sa kakahuyan. 

Kinutuban ako. This route is not even the right way patungong crucible. 

He notices my pace turns slower. He stops to wait for me. 

"Why did you stop?" 

He rolls his eyes. Bigla, kinabig niya ang kamay ko at hinila ako palapit sa kanya. Our skins spark. The electricity built between us sparkles our bodies. Again. 

Tila nailawan ang buong kagubatang iyon dahil sa pagdidikit ng aming katawan. Binitawan nito ang kamay ko saka patay malisyang tumingin sa ibang direksyon. "I guess I can't hold you." 

"I wonder what's going on."

He does not react. But his face tells me he knows a lot of things about what's happening between us. He keeps going until we're passing the small forest. 

Why do I want a reaction from him anyway? Like so badly? I think I am becoming pathetic. I don't even know this guy fully. I sigh so deep that he hears me. 

"What?" masungit nitong untag. 

"Nothing." I look away bringing my gaze to a classic European manor house just ahead of us. "Where are we?"

"This is The Drift house," he says. 

I  bring my gaze back to him. I look up at him. His golden lemon eyes lock unto mine. There are beads of mist clinging into his thick eyelashes. There is something so imploring about them—burning like the stars in an arid night. 

He exhales and jerks his head towards the house. 

"Why did you bring me here? My presence upsets your girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?" he asks with a wrinkled forehead. 

"M-Mira?"

He scoffs. He does not reject the idea nor confirm it. He leaves it like that. 

"Take me to the crucible instead," I suggest. 

He ignores my suggestion. He walks towards the house. His eyes shifting from his way to me. Hindi ako papakawalan ng lalaki. I do not know what his motives are, but it seems like one of them involves me. 

Wala akong nagawa kundi sumunod sa lalaki. Kinakabahan ako. Nanginginig ang mga tuhod at siko ko habang pinagmamasdan ang matipunong likod ng lalaki. He opens the door. It creaks and my heart starts to twitch. 

Bumungad sa mga mata ko ang simpleng living room. The walls are all painted in white which makes them clean and calming. There is a cozy but elevated feeling of the living room with the huge sofa, books, a single vase with yellow tulips, and a fireplace scattered so perfectly. 

"They're not here."

I stride two steps and rest my feet behind the door which he holds by the knob. He locks the entry. Nasasamyo ko pa rin ang amoy nito. I can't get used to it. 

I gulp for the air. 

He moves towards the glass window and peeps on the Venetian blinds. Then he gets back to me with his blazing eyes. 

"They won't follow us here."

"Who are they?" I say and leaned on the white wall. 

"I'm guessing they're from Unos or Circles. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang motibo nila sa'yo."

"Why are you helping me?"

"I just did not want blood spilled on the yellow territory. O ayokong may magwala na namang deadlock sa academy kapag may nangyari sa kasamahan nila."

I do not respond. I know he's referring to Sandro and the deadlocks. 

He drops his back to the cushioned sofa. "Since you are oddly curious about everything, let me lessen the curiosity." He looks at me without inviting me to sit on the sofa. He's becoming a jerk. A handsome jerk. 

I expect too much. I stand there waiting for him to speak.

"I have to keep you here. Unos and Circles won't stop hunting you unless they see you under my protection. Your problem is solved. Your welcome!"

"Oswin and Myra might be so worried." I strain to keep my voice even. 

"Glor Fina already told them. There's nothing to worry about with your deadlock friends." He does not look at me. His lips twitch again. He sat there very silent for a moment. Then he strides back into step to get beside me. 

My jaw hardens. I don't respond.

He stands just almost two feet from me. His eyes lock into my face. His gaze, scrutinizing every dot, every freckle, every line on my face.  

I can see conflict in his expression. Maybe distorted by the lights coming from the chandeliers but I can see fully how confused he is. He swallows and begins talking, "I wonder why you became deadlock? I wonder."

He sounds exonerating. He blinks and his eyes start burning. 

My knees melt and pounds start to take my stomach. 

"I am deadlock," I say gazing back to the flare his eyes are bringing. 

"You're more than a deadlock. No one takes Mira's death grip that easy. Wala pa akong nakikitang nilalang na nagagawang maglakad at makare-cover ng ganoon kabilis after a Zenovian death grip. Just you."

"Well," napalunok ako, "it's just my lucky day."

Mas inilapit ng lalaki ang mukha nito. Napaatras ako. Huli na nang mapagtanto kong pader ang nasa likuran ko. 

He teases me and it's scary. Scary because a part of me sort of likes it. 

What is he doing? This guy is a halfwit!

"What are you doing?"

Lumamlam ang mga titig nito. His face becomes a charming demon, luring me into the trap of temptation. 

He inhales deeply; taking my scent. He murmurs under his breath, "Such an interesting deadlock. You make me so curious. I wonder if we explode if we get closer than a hug. I wonder how your lips taste like." 

###