First Year, Part 12 (The Whole Story)

When I entered the great hall the next day at breakfast, there were only a few professors and students eating breakfast. The Great Hall was almost completely empty.

Sitting down, I piled pancakes onto my plate and ate. I couldn't get over how quiet Hogwarts was without all the students.

Moments later, Aileen came in and sat next to me, pouring herself a glass of pumpkin juice. Usually, Aileen and I didn't sit together at lunch, because we were in separate houses. But with only one or two Slytherins around and no Gryffindors, we could.

As soon as we finished eating, I wrapped food in a napkin and placed it in my bag.

"Ready to go?" I asked, standing up.

Aileen poured another glass of pumpkin juice and stood. "Let's go."

We made our way to the secret passageway.

"Do you think Sharem is innocent?" Aileen asked as we entered the dark passageway.

"Of course," I lit my wand. "You think Sharem was at fault when his Uncle was the one who had him tied up?"

"Maybe he was tied up for a good reason though. He could be dangerous."

"You saw his uncle, Aileen. He had pointed teeth, and he looked terrifying. You don't' think his uncle could be innocent, do you?"

"No, but just because his uncle isn't good, doesn't mean Sharem is good," she said. "All I'm saying is we shouldn't just completely trust Sharem, even if he seems like the good one out of the two. And we shouldn't risk our lives for his like you did back there at the underground forest."

"Okay," I agreed hesitantly, "Do you really not trust him, Aileen?" I hadn't planned to risk my life for him. I had acted on impulse. I didn't know if I was willing to risk my life for Sharam's, but I still wanted to help him.

"I don't trust anyone until they've earned my trust," she said, as she ushered me forward.

"But you will try to help him?" I asked. "We said we would. Even if it is dangerous, Aileen, we need to help him. He's only a boy. Think about if you were in his position."

She didn't answer.

"So, that's what we're calling it?" I asked.

"Calling what?" Aileen asked as we reached the spot where we had to turn left or right.

"The part of the Forbidden forest we found," I explained. "We're calling it the underground forest?"

"Well, it is an underground forest, so yeah," Aileen said, looking left and right. "Which way did we go last time?"

"I don't remember," I said, "I think we went left, and then right. I was so tired, I didn't pay attention."

We turned right and came to the dead end. The bricks were no longer glowing, but when I pressed on them, the hidden open way appeared. We walked down the long, twisting staircase to the room Sharem was in.

"Hi, Sharem," I said brightly as we entered the room. "We brought you food, as promised," I said, as I began to open my bag and dig through it to get to the pancakes.

Sharem lay curled on the blanket, and he looked like he had only just woken up.

Aileen handed him the glass of pumpkin juice she had brought.

"It's pumpkin juice," she said at his questioning look. "Drink it."

I handed him the napkin of food I had brought. "Here, eat these. They're pancakes and bacon."