Chapter 3

"So you'll see Na Mo Hyun tonight?"

Yong Goo's voice filled the emptiness of his car. Somebody had offered to drive him because of his new position, but he refused. He didn't want to admit it, but he was anxious and needed to be alone before that night. Before replying his friend, he looked at the clock on the display of the vehicle. It was still six-thirty, but the time he would meet with Mo Hyun was close.

"Yeah" he murmured. He thought he still had about an hour before the meeting. Mo Hyun told him she still had work to do thus they could meet around 8pm.

"Just... yeah? Why can't I feel the excitement?" he laughed. "Ah, right. This is how you roll. You never say what you think."

He smirked. "You know me well, Yong Goo."

He didn't want to reveal it to his friend, but he was anxious. It was the first time after the meeting with the real estate agent that he would see her. What made him tense was that this date - he sighed just at the thought of the word - was not work-related or a random encounter like the last one. This was serious, and despite he usually planned ahead and predicted the outcomes, he didn't know what to expect out of this.

Before he went to jail, Mo Hyun expressed her feelings for him clearly. She would still keep him in her heart even though he sorts of refused her feelings and used her for his revenge. She couldn't deny what she felt, and he couldn't either. At that time, it had been hard to reject her, but knowing he may go to jail he didn't want her to wait for him until he would be released. He just didn't want her to put her heart on hold just because he was locked inside a jail and lose the chance to meet someone else and start anew after those difficult years that had just passed.

He didn't know how her current situation was, but he clearly didn't spot a ring on her finger. She could still be dating, he imagined, but he will learn the truth along the way. He wouldn't expect anything from her, but she should expect a lot from him.

Yong Goo giggled again. "Yes, I do. And I also know that this time is the right time... right? You won't get another chance to make it right."

"Only time can tell."

"Always the philosopher. You're skeptic and I understand you but see it this way. If there is a will, there is a way. If she still feels the same after all these years, I'm sure she'll tell you."

He rolled his eyes. This was obvious, and he could not wait for the moment of truth. He said goodbye and hung up the phone with the excuse that he had reached his home, but actually he had just stopped near a park close to Han River.

He felt the chilly air hit his face outside. It was not spring yet, but it was coming. This was one of the times of the year when you couldn't expect much from the weather because it was crazy, still settling on still being cold or getting warmer. He loved cold and he loved to stroll in this area of town because the sight of the river and its small waves calmed him down. It was ironic because over twenty years before it had been water that had taken away his family.

A couple of minutes later, he got back in his car and drove to Cheong A where he'd promise to pick up Mo Hyun. He told himself it was just like old times, him coming to get her and driving her somewhere, but he knew the times had changed and would still change like the weather.

He checked the clock for the umpteenth time and then noticed that it had started raining and the windshield was starting to blur because of the drops of rain. When he finally reached his destination, he saw her shielding close to the entrance of the big building that held his future.

She was looking on her left then on her right, probably trying to locate him. He realized that she didn't know what his car was, and it would be impossible for her to find him among the thick rain that was now falling. He sighed and took an umbrella from under the backseat and got out of the vehicle.