Chapter 10: Worthless Words

Zi Xin's days were spent rather leisurely. She was kept in a secluded Palace far away from The Emperor's. It would take two hours to get to her palace by foot, from the main entrance of the Back Palace. It was at a higher elevation, covered by trees. Not even a guard was sent to keep watch. Only two young maids and an older Mama to serve her. All this negligence had deterred ambitious characters from paying too much mind to her.

The Emperor had tired of her. A philanderous character indeed. Everyone in the court  astute enough to understand, understood. The previous actions were all put on display by the emperor to balance the delicate situation between the General and the Minister. 

The Emperor may have named the mountain girl, the phoenix of the back palace, however she was only a jade phoenix. Fulfilling only aesthetic values. The true power of the back palace was still divided by The Emperor's Royal Consorts. 

Zi XIn was not bothered by worldly affairs. No; no mountain children to complain or play with. No brothers to share the wine with. Neither the Heavens nor did the mortal world bother her. Even the flow of time betrayed her.

"What causes the empress such fixation?".

That man. He would pay rare visits to see the state of things in the courtyard. Perhaps to hide away from Palace beauties. 

Zi Xin did not care to answer. The Emperor did not care for an answer. He was satisfied as long as he could speak to "Yenay, do you not find the palace peaceful?". Reaching out he stroked her hair. She had learned to play a doll around him. His kind words and gestures were all undermined by the ridicule held in his eyes.  

What was his purpose Zi Xin often wondered. 

"Does the empress care for a stroll outside the barriers." 

Her muteness did not discourage him. 

"Yenay, We are to hunt tonight, do you wish to accompany?" an inviting hand reached out to him.

Zi Xin knew the emperor was not being kind to her out of his fondness of him or her was it now...no...she would not.....could not think of such things. 

Yenay's eyes were filling with intricacies. Long Wei grasped her hand from its resting place.

"An Bai, Prepare the empress. Something light but majestic..." his eyes locked on her the whole time. 

"Clothing fitting for the mother of the nation." 

Moist lips fell on her hand. Zi Xin looked up. The emperor was placing gentle kisses on her hands her on half laying on a chair, him sitting on the floor. her the master, him the pet. 

Zi Xin could not help but think this funny. 

"Why." 

Bewildered Long Wei looked at her face. 

Zi Xin freed her hand, using a towel to clean it. 

"I am acting according to your will and yet you still will not stop your games."

Long Wei pushed her to one side as he occupied the chair on the other side. His finger lifting her by the chin. 

"Yenay, We believed you had lost the ability to speak." his words passionate, filled with relief.

An amused laugh. 

"Sire, here there is but you and I, there is no need for such pleasantries, I am a servant and you the master." Do you have to pretend so much.

In the blink of an eye the emperor's eyes lost their mirth. The hand on the chin now grasping the throat. His smile brighter than before. 

"My lovely empress, words that leave your lips worth to nothing of value." 

 Zi Xin put his hand on his.

"The name is Zi Xin master, if you let this servent have this one grace, I will play the puppet you desire."

The hand on the throat tightened. 

"Such demands, Yenay, that is the name We have bestowed, that is the only existence you have. I hold the strings, the puppet will move regardless of will." 

A strong clutch on Zi Xin's hair. 

"Who are you?"

"Zi Xin." 

A slap.

"Who are you?"

"Zi Xin." 

Long Wei Threw her on the floor, leaving behind only his scent.