3- Come Again?

"What?" Dr. Warhol asked, alarmed, as Trey left the room. The doctor instantly went to check up on Elena, who couldn't stop thinking of the man that had just left. Who was that? But before she could think about him any further, the doctor flicked a tiny flashlight in her eyes. Terra hesitantly left the room, knowing that her other child, well what felt like her other one, needed her, too. Collin understood and let her go, keeping their mind link open so she could know what went on in the room as the doctor tended to Elena.

"Elena, do you know where you are right now?" He asked, turning off the flashlight and putting it back in his white coat front pocket.

She looked around the white room. "Um, in a hospital room?"

"Yes, that's correct. Do you remember how you got here?"

Elena thought about it, tried to dig deep in the recesses of her mind. All she remembered was getting ready for her first day of her senior year in college. She shook her head, which hurt. . . a lot. Geez, what happened to her?

As if reading her mind, the doctor informed, "You were in an accident. You got hit by a car."

Hit by a car? Whoa. 'Thank goodness I'm still alive,' she thought. "Well that explains why my head hurts." Elena replied, reaching up to rub her head softly.

"Well, your head did take a pretty bad hit. Are you feeling nauseated or dizzy?" The doctor asked.

"No."

"That's good. Like I told your family. . ." The doctor repeated to her what he told everyone else about her predicament coming into the hospital; her concussion, small bruises, high fever, the tests. As he did so, Terra walked in and stood next to her mate and child, with Warren and Hannah not too far away. Hannah reached out for Elena's hand, and held it tightly as she noticed Elena's worried face as the doctor continued to speak.

"Now, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Then I promise, I won't bother you again for the rest of the day, okay?" He said, smiling, trying to make a joke.

She smiled back. "Okay." But she still held on to Hannah's and now, Terra's hand tightly.

"Can you state your full name for me?"

"Elena Jane Mitchell."

"When's your birthday?"

"September 23rd."

"And how old are you?"

"Twenty."

The doctor paused for a second. "Elena, can you tell me today's date?"

She thought about this for a second. "Um, August 22nd?"

Everyone's faces fell. She knew that must mean it was no longer August 22nd.

"Ellie, honey, it's May 29th." Terra informed her, trying to hold back tears, trying to be strong for her little girl.

She gasped. May 29th? That meant she graduated not too long ago! And she couldn't remember it. Any of it.

Elena let go of both Hannah's and Terra's hands. "What?! No. I-It can't be. . . But how- I. . ." Was all she could say as she cupped her head as tried to remember vigorously the last 9 months of her life. But she couldn't. She didn't understand why this was happening to her. Gone. Just like that. And will she ever get it back? She was getting worked up; her behavior becoming erratic.

The doctor sensed this, rested a hand on her shoulder and said, "Okay. I think that's enough for today. I'll leave you alone now, Elena. I'll send in for someone a little bit later to change your bandage." He turned to face everyone else. "Everybody, please come with me. Let's let her rest." Dr. Warhol said, leading them all out the door despite the small protests from Terra and Hannah.