Chapter 17 Secret of the Forest

For the next ten years Severus worked at Hogwarts School as the Potions professor. Eden remained well hidden within the Dark Forest, and Harry lived with his supposedly dead mother's horrid sister and her husband and their son. Severus had attempted to argue about his nephew being placed in the care of the muggles, but Dumbledore won out saying that since Lilly Potter had risked her life to save Harry, that he would be safer with Lilly's family. This put Severus in a very foul mood.

Whenever Severus had a spare moment to himself he would go deep into the dark forest to speak with his sister. She would never transform back into her human form, but he still found her comforting. "Don't worry so much Severus. I know how you feel about Harry being raised by that horrid muggle family, but we shall be seeing him attend Hogwarts during the up and coming school term. I personally am looking forward to seeing my darling son after so many years. It's just a pity that he will not know me," said Eden as she walked through the forest with Severus on her back.

"Eden, Dumbledore has been keeping tabs on Harry over the years for us. I am disappointed to tell you that Lilly's muggle sister has spoiled the boy terribly. I'm not looking forward to seeing the damage that they have done to my nephew," said Severus as they reached the edge of the forbidden forest. Eden stopped suddenly almost making Severus fall off and stood stock still with her ears pricked, and her nostrils flaring wildly.

Severus could feel her equine body tremble beneath him as she stood there. "Eden, what's wrong?" he asked as he slid down and walked around her to look into her green eyes.

"He's back, Severus. I don't know how, but he's back," she said with a frightened snort as she backed away from her brother fearfully.

"Eden, he can't be back," said Severus attempting to calm his sister.

"He is back, Severus mark my words. Do you honestly believe that I wouldn't know my own father's dark magic when I feel it? I have to go and hide myself from him. Protect Harry, I couldn't bare it if anything happened to him," she said as she reared and fled back into the darkness of the forest.

Severus turned and walked slowly back to the castle alone. As he got closer he saw professor Quirrel walking through the doors into the entrance hall ahead of him. He wasn't sure why, but he had a feeling that there was something off about the returning professor.

Two days later Severus sat in the great hall watching the first years getting sorted into their houses. He looked up as the doors opened and Minerva led the group of first year students into the great hall stopping them in front of the staff table for all to see. As he glanced over the new students he wondered which of them his nephew was. He hadn't seen Harry since he was one but he hoped that he would recognize him.

As the sorting began Severus got drawn into a conversation with Professor Quirrel, who oddly smelled strongly of garlic. As the sorting continued he glanced lazily at the students and noticed a boy with unruly black hair, and green eyes wearing round glasses. As Harry waited his turn to be sorted he noticed the dark robed wizard with shoulder length black greasy hair and black eyes staring at him. As the man stared at him he felt a stabbing pain in his scar and brought his hand up to rub it.

"Ouch," he said as he rubbed his scar.

"Harry, what is it?" asked his new friend Ron with concern.

"Nothing, it's nothing, I'm fine," lied Harry as he blinked Ron was called up to be sorted first and Harry clapped with the others as he watched his new friend run over to the Gryffindor table. Then the room fell silent after Professor McGonagall called out his name.

Severus finally heard the name that he had been waiting for and sat up watching as the black haired boy that he had watched before stepped out of the crowd of new students and approached the stool. He wondered which house his nephew who looked just like his father except for the fact that he had inherited his mother's green eyes would be placed in. His mother was placed in Slytherin but he knew that the boy's father was in Gryffindor.