The Reapers' Secrets

Today, is the day my whole life changed. I wouldn't expect you to know how it feels to be told you are going to die, because obviously most of you are still alive to read this. If you think you've had a tough life, you have nothing on me. I've been bullied most of my life, mostly because I dress weird and I'm smarter than everyone else, but it doesn't end at school. My whole family resents me, so much in fact that they sent me away, happily I might add, to a far away college. The fact that I'll be turning 18 in a few months is enough to drive anyone nuts. The only person who might actually come visit me is my cousin, though I suspect he will only come for the enjoyment of torturing me. I'm not writing this for your enjoyment either, I'm writing it so that you know the crazy shit that's happened to me the year that I died.

I'm writing this, so that you may, one day when you're Reaper comes for you, uncover their deepest darkest secrets. No surprises, no trickery, just full blown suspicion as you're Reaper tells you who they are. Because my own Reaper, should have been suspected from the moment we met.

"Fitz, snap out of it man, you're going to make yourself look like an idiot. Despite your enormous intellect." The guy next to me, I think his name is Greg, but I couldn't care to remember if he had ever been nice to me. Let me tell you, college is no different than high school.

I don't remember what I was staring at, only that it was something very disturbing, and that no one else even took notice of it. This has been going on for several days, and it's slowly driving me insane, because it doesn't just happen at college. It's everywhere, and most of the time it disappears before it even crosses my mind what I'm doing staring at something no one else can see, when I should be crossing the rest of the street.

And as if today couldn't get any worse, which it always seems to do so anyway, my cousin had called me on my lunch break, and told me he would be coming by. Of course, that's not really how he put it.

"Hey, fag, I'm coming to freeze your pants for the next 3 months, so be prepared for an ultimate wedgie, ya pussy." Is how he really put it.

And as class wound down, and finally got dismissed, I dreaded the walk home in the rain. But I even more so dreaded the time as such where I would be walking into my apartment building.

No doubt, HE would be there, waiting to give me the 'ultimate wedgie' as he so gracefully explained.

As I do, eventually, reach the front doors, I glumly look up at my window, catching a shadow looking out of the window. I wonder if he picked my lock again.

I enter the building, and trudge into the elevator, my legs still shaking from the long walk home in the cold, bitter rain. When I finally get to my floor, I grudgingly take out my keys, and step in through my door, shaking out my hair as I shut the door behind me.

The place is dark and dreary, cold, and now just a bit damp. It sounds like it could come straight from a horror movie, which I suppose it was, given the next scene I took in scared the living shit out of me.

I turn towards the dim, slightly empty place, and catch something out of the corner of my eye: a shadow sitting in my window. A shadow I'm not familiar with, and definitely isn't my cousin's. I slowly grab the umbrella (which I wish I had earlier), and slowly creep towards the figure, the umbrella poised in my hands to attack. When I get close enough, I charge, and swing the umbrella, which comes in contact with something with a smack.

I open my squeezed-shut eyes, and reach for the light switch to my right on the wall. It flickers on, so bright I have to shut my eyes first, and as I blink into focus, my vision is taken up by furious dark grey eyes.

Then everything goes dark, my head spinning violently as I crash onto the floor like a rock, un-moving, and un-sightly.

-