Why Hiccup Wears Long Sleeves P1

The riders find out why Hiccup is only ever seen with long sleeves

RTTE timeline

~O~

It was one of the hottest days the riders ever had, and ever will, experienced. They all sat in the clubhouse, the doors wide open to allow any breeze that happened to be passing by inside, hoping for an escape for the suns blazing fury.

"Why does it have to be so hot?" Complained Snoutlout for the umpteenth time that hour.

He had striped down to the bar minimum of clothes - a simple, thin shirt and short pants - like most of the riders. The heat was driving them mad, well, madder.

Hiccup leaned against the table in the middle of the room, drops of sweat sliding down his face. He had stopped trying to wipe them away - the second he did more replaced them. Out of all the riders, Hiccup was suffering the most. It made sense, he was the only one who hadn't removed some of his normal attire. Even Astrid had long shed her armbands, boots and leggings.

The one-legged viking however refused to remove some of his clothes to allow whatever sweet breeze to wash over him, or bask in the amazing feeling of water washing over his bare skin. He would happily change in to some shorter pants, possibly remove his copper chestplate. But his tunic, that simply could not be changed.

Why he hadn't changed everything but his tunic even Hiccup didn't understand fully. At the moment all he could think about were the riders finding out why he refused to change, and trying to escape the neverending heat. Guess that's what heat does to you.

Suddenly Tuffnut spoke, pulling Hiccup away from his thoughts. "Hey Hiccup, why haven't you changed yet?"

Then question Hiccup had dreaded for most of the day finally surfaced. Throughout the past hours Hiccup had come up with several believeable excuses incase the question was asked. However, all the well thought words vanished from his mind.

"It's comfy." Were the only words he could muster.

Immediatly, Hiccup mentally kicked himself. Of course he wasn't comfy. The amount of sweat that was dripping off him could easily create an ocean.

The others looked up after hearing Hiccup's bizarre comment.

"What?" He inquired, knowing very well what they were so surprised at.

"Hiccup I can hardly say you look comfy." Astrid's voice of reason was laced with slight concern. She started to think that maybe the heat was really getting to him.

Fishlegs spoke next. "You should atleast change you tunic and remove your armour, Hiccup. You can get sick from this type of heat."

Hiccup looked away at the mention of changing his tunic.

"I'll pass." He murmered.

The other riders where now really starting to worry. Usually Hiccup would be the one encouraging the riders to try and keep cool, taking any necessary precautions to keep everyone well and healthy in any type of extreme weather. But now, he was acting like Snotlout. While he was stubborn, even Ruff and Tuff argreed it was a bit far to refuse to change your tunic for no apparent reason.

"Hiccup," Astrid began, "atleast remove your shoulder gaurds and armour. We can't have you getting heat sickness."

The first time the riders discovered this 'heat sickness' was a day a few months ago almost as hot as today. Tuff and Ruff had been out all day in the heat, when they came back the two where bed ridden for the next two days. While with the twins, it was more a relief than worry, even Hiccup knew he couldn't afford to get sick, not with Johann and Krogan still looking for the Dragon Eye lenses.