Deaf

What's up you lovely people? Taking requests!

Sarah POV

I hadn't seen Gerald since before he left on his world tour. He was my best friend since I could remember. Only difference about us now you ask? I went deaf.

I was working at the hospital when it happened. It's a ringing noise and then it just stops. The noises cease and you start to wonder if you're dreaming. When you realize your not it's this stomach dropping sensation. How was I even to call him? To tell him what happened? Being a nurse I needed to hear my patients.

I ignored his calls through the months of touring, after all how does a deaf person hold a conversation over the phone. Yet I knew when he came back to the Bay area. My phone buzzed and I glanced to my front door, my camera had caught motion outside. I clicked the camera button and sighed seeing Gerald. I couldn't not face him. I slowly got up and nervously unlocked the door till we were face to face. He signed and I felt tears slide down my cheeks.

"My mom told me what happened. Why didn't you text me?" He signed very slow, but after I just hugged him and felt tears slide down my cheeks. Here I thought my best friend would give up on me. Yet here he was outside my door straight off the plane.

"I'm sorry." I signed and spoke. My pronunciation wasn't as good any more, it went with my hearing. He came inside and we sat down, writing back and forth on slips of paper. Once those ran out we used our phones. It felt like old times just minus the noise.

Can they fix it? He wrote and then I shrugged. I'd looked into tons of options or courses of treatment. He scribbled once more. I'm taking you to Germany. They have technology. I shook my head. I was scared senseless at the idea of travelling so far and potentially getting my hopes up. Yet, this was Gerald and he wouldn't stop. He got up and went straight to my bedroom, digging through my things for a suitcase. I was behind him, watching him get frustrated as he threw my things into a suitcase in such a hurry. He was talking, but I couldn't make out what he was saying. Tears were running down his cheeks as I reached out to him.

"What's wrong?" God only knows if he understood me, how jumbled my words might have sounded. He grabbed my face and kept talking but the only phrase I could seemingly make out was I love you. Actually it seemed more like I fucking love you. He searches my eyes and obviously I'm speechless or maybe he thinks I couldn't understand, or maybe I'm wrong. He lets me go and he motions to my bag, I grab things that Gerald wouldn't think of and throw them in as well.

He zips it's up and in one hand is my suitcase, the other is my hand, being squeezed by his. He's got a car waiting outside, it's pouring down rain, the city is dark on this evening.

He hands the driver my bag as I slip into the car. Gerald finds my hand the moment he's in the car and the driver begins our journey. It's all a blur, heading to the airport, rushing to a private jet. This was all his life had been and everything I had missed staying here in the bay. We make it to New York and switch planes for Germany.

Gerald falls asleep when we take off, his head on my shoulder as I stare out the window. My stomach is in knots the whole 10 hours. I'm shaking with nervousness as we land and even to the facility.

They are talking to him, signing me, then they say surgery. I don't understand them, yet I sign my name, give my blood, and I'm assigned a room. It's silent like always as they pump my IV of something they said would make me sleep. Gerald is talking to the doctors, I see his check book and all the zeros on it when he hands it over to the care worker.

I fall asleep and I swear I can hear the tools working. I'm praying I don't wake up as they're working on my skull. They place a receiver on the bottom left of my brain, a tiny piece hidden in my hair that will always be there. I don't open my eyes as I'm scared I'm dreaming. I can feel someone holding my hand. He's humming and I know that voice from anywhere in the world.

"You know when you wake up. I'm gonna tell you what I've been meaning to since we were kids. You were always there for me. Through the drama, bad decisions, bad women, bad trips." He chuckles yet I want to cry. His voice is like whiskey if it had a sound equivalent to the taste. "I'm gonna make sure you're always taken care of Sarah."

"You already did Gerald." I open my eyes and I can feel tears sliding down my cheek. My voice wasn't completely normal, but I recognised it. He leaned forward and pressed a kiss to my forehead.

"You remember what I said? While I was packing your things to rush you here."

"You fucking love me?" He nodded before laughing, pressing a kiss to my lips. I never knew how good it would be to here those words coming from his voice.