Chapter One | New Faces

Victoria
Chapter One | New Faces

"I'm sure you're all aware of the fire incident last year, here at Vincent High. To ensure this doesn't happen again, please continue the regular checks that none of the girls are carrying lighters or matches in their dormitories." Gemma, or Mrs David, reinforced the mention of the lighters for about the sixth time that morning.

It had happened once in 5 years here at Vincent High, and we all strongly doubted the fire incident wouldn't happen again. Luckily for me it was just before I moved here for my first year of teaching.

It was the 3rd of September, a few minutes before 8AM. It was a warm, bright morning yet the briefing room lacked energy. It was the first Monday back after the summer holidays and everyone was pretty exhausted - including me.

"Ah yes, also we welcome a new janitor this year. Meet Janice everyone." A hefty woman stood and all eyes in the room travelled to her as she gave a warm smile and a small wave, clearly overwhelmed with the amount of attention on her.

Despite the lack of replies or interest the briefing room gave her, she still displayed a happy smile after sitting back down. Unaware that nobody was mentally in the briefing room, maybe physically, but their minds probably somewhere far from.

I'd been working at this school for a year now. Sometimes I disliked the job, but doesn't everyone dislike their job at one point in their lives? Mostly I enjoyed it; talking to a bunch of teenage girls about biology - hoping one day they'd find it as interesting as you do.

I didn't actually want to be a teacher in the first place, but after being guaranteed a place here due to the founder of this school being a good friend of my father's - I couldn't turn it down.

"And finally, we have a small number of students joining the school today. I hope you wish them a warm welcome and they don't cause any bother - however if any of them do, don't hesitate to let me know." She spoke again.

A few fellow teachers shifted to her words. I remained silent, waiting for her to continue.

"We've got Shannon Lowe, who is in Mr Parker's house." We all looked at Mr Parker who gave a small smile and didn't seem very affected by the news.

You see, nobody liked new students. The fear of those moving and being terrible is what most teachers would shit themselves about in the meeting room. I had to stop myself from chuckling at the thought of a teacher being intimidated by a student. It simply baffled me.

I didn't care.

"Next up we have Gia Meadows, who is with you Mrs Harper."

Mrs Harper was a lovely but shy, insecure woman. Her husbands leaving her several times probably didn't do her self esteem much good, unfortunately. She gave a slight smile, but obviously wasn't pleased with the decision.

"And finally," Gemma's eyes then met mine, "We have," She hesitated for a few moments after her eyes skimmed the paper, "Martha Daniels, who is with you Miss Sage."

Great. Like I said - I didn't care that I had another student on board and certainly wasn't intimated by the fact. If I was honest I couldn't really be bothered with the responsibility of having another one to worry about.

Every teacher at Vincent High has the responsibility of checking up on around 10 students, who stayed in two dorms.

The girls in mine I already knew very well, and I didn't mind them at all. I wouldn't consider them friends of course, but they weren't too bad to talk to.

I realised I hadn't actually responded to Gemma. I simply nodded and smiled. And with that she thanked us all for attending the meeting and wished us a great first day back.