Chapter 1

Late at night, a white fox is running away from someone, taking shortcuts and running as fast as she can. Her name is Cadence Hamilton, and the mammal she's running from is her fiance, who is a wolf.

"Why do I think I can outrun a wolf?" She asked herself. Meanwhile, Gideon Grey was closing his shop when he saw the two canines run past. The wolf eventually caught up with Cadence and jumped her, slamming her to the ground. "Jackson, let go of me!" she growled.

"You know as well as I do that a fox can never be stronger than a wolf, so you should just give up and go home." He said in reply.

"Hey, back off." Gideon said from behind them. The wolf turned around, and walked over to him.

"I'm sorry, what did you just tell me?" Gideon wasn't phased at all by the height difference between him and the wolf, and only wanted to protect the white fox.

"I said back off!" The wolf growled and laughed at the same time, and drew his claws, ready to attack him. Before he could, Cadence kicked him hard. Jackson fell to the ground, and stayed there for a while. Gideon looked at Cadence, who looked proud of herself. But he was still worried. "You okay?"

"No, I'm fine." she sighed. She really wasn't. Cadence had just ran away from a pretty abusive relationship. But she put on a brave smile. "I'm Cadence."

"Gideon." The two of them just looked at each other, and Cadence felt safe with him, even though she had just met him. Suddenly, Jackson got up.

"Fuck, Cadence!" He said, with intense anger in his eyes and voice. He drew his claws, and she kicked him again, this time in a more sensitive area. Gideon was both impressed and terrified. He stared at her, and found her almost attractive at that point. As Jackson ran off, the two foxes looked at each other, and smiled.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah Gideon, I'm fine. Just a rough patch." Cadence replied.

"A rough patch, huh?" He asked, and sighed. "If you don't have anywhere else to go that's not with that bad excuse for a wolf, you can..."

"No, it's okay. I have an apartment nearby." She replied. "Thank you, though. It was nice meeting you." As Cadence started her way home, she thought about her situation. This wasn't the first time she'd try to get out of her trash relationship, and it wouldn't be the last. But still, she had met Gideon, who offered to let her stay with him! That part made her feel great. She got home, and greeted her neighbor, a black cat. "Hey Sabrina."

"Night Cadence." She replied. Minutes later, Cadence went to sleep, and had a nightmare. She was just walking around, when suddenly she spots Jackson and runs. Then, she keeps finding him, and she woke up terrified. Needless to say, she didn't sleep much that night.