Chapter 15: It'll All Work Out

~Abigail's POV~ 

"We're here!" I exclaimed, excited to finally be at the school after a long 6-hour drive. OU is a beautiful campus and after a summer away from it, I felt really excited to see it once more and for my last semester! 

"Are you excited for your last semester?" My mom asked as we pulled into the parking lot of the apartment I would be staying in. 

"Yeah, I'm totally excited," I said, but I had a reservation to me not being completely excited and my mom caught on to my hesitancy quickly.

"You don't sound very excited. Or not as excited as you have been in the past?" My mom knew me so well. She knew when I wasn't my usual happy self, and right now I could tell she was getting a little bit worried. 

I looked over at her expecting face and I chuckled. She was such a good mom, and I could never lie to her or avoid the topic. 

I sighed and finally answered her question after I parked the car in front of my building. "I'm not as excited because of the long distance." 

My mom looked at me with a confused look. "What do you mean? You've been away from us for so many years for a certain amount of time and it didn't seem to bother you then." My mom didn't seem to be picking up on the fact that I wasn't talking about them...

"No, mom..." I stopped and turned in my seat to face her. "I'm talking about George. I'm not looking forward to these next four months away from him. I mean, I know we're gonna see each other periodically, when he has off days he said he would come up and visit, and I'll try to and go see him. But with his crazy schedule and my crazy schedule, it just seems like we won't be able to see each other like we said we would."

"And that's why you're not really excited? Because you're gonna be away from George?" My mom asked. I nodded. "And you're scared that you guys won't be able to see each other at all?" She asked another question, it seemed like she was trying to clarify my point. I nodded again.

My mom placed her hand on my hand that was resting on the gear shifter. "You shouldn't worry about that. George is a trustworthy man and if he said he's gonna come up and visit you, then I'm pretty sure he will when he can. He is a busy man like you said, but that doesn't mean he hasn't forgotten about you. It's only gonna be a couple of months away from him physically, but you guys live in the 21st century. You guys have every way of communicating you could think of without actually touching each other. You guys will be able to talk and FaceTime and do whatever else you guys do nowadays." I giggled at her non-21st-century talk. 

"Don't think of it as you guys aren't going to be able to see each other, I know it's hard not to think that since you're gonna be away from each other for a while, but it'll all work out. And in four short months, you'll be graduating from college and your family, friends, and George will all be up here to see you walk across that stage with your diploma. After that, you'll be able to come home without having to worry about moving every year." 

My mom always knew what to say that would make me feel better. It was like she herself could personally understand how I was feeling and she always knew what to say in order to help me through it. This time was no different and the only thing I could do was lean over the middle console and give my mom a big 'ole hug. 

"Thank you, mom. You always know how to make me feel better." I say and I can feel her move as she chuckled. 

"No problem honey. You know I'm always here for you no matter what. No matter how big or small the situation is, 'I'll be there for you!'" She sang the famous chorus from the show "Friends" and I busted out laughing at her little gesture. Our favorite show we watch together is "Friends" and we're always quoting it when it's the perfect opportunity, and this time just cracked me up.