Prologue

It's been a year and a half since I've let him see or beat me, a few weeks since he has found my last location. Now here I am on a bus heading towards Provincetown,MA with my suitcase of belongings and three hundred dollars I had managed to save from the last town I was in working at a small little book store downtown a few blocks away from the motel I was staying in. I've been on a train from Eureka, CA all the way to Boston, MA. Since I'm on the bus for a while I decided that I'll tell you a bit more about why I'm hiding and how I got away.

Five and a half years ago, back when I was twelve years old, my mom met my stepfather and it was like she was hypnotized by him. They were married by week 5 and it was supposedly the happiest time of her life. Everything was great for the first five and a half months of the marriage, the last two weeks she started acting weird, distancing herself from me and her new husband up until she finally just disappeared. We having seen her since then and I doubt we ever will.

At first he was just stressed out but still a caring step father figure until he started going out at night after work and coming home in a drunken stupor screaming and insulting me and my MIA mother if I was still awake at the time. Eventually he started to insinuate things were happening in his house while he was out at work and he would shove or slap me once in a while when I told him that nothing was happening. As you can tell it gradually started get worse as time went by up until my sixteenth butrhday, he had beaten me so bad that I had to be hospitalized for almost a week because I was in a medically induced coma for four days and kept for two more under observation all because I had gone to the store to buy the stuff so I could make myself a birthday cake.

I found out later that my two best friends Niko and Anya were the ones that found me the next morning passed out in the kitchen when they stopped by to get me for school, they usually just walked right in because HE was already out at work and leaves the door unlocked when he leaves. They called the police and I was rushed by ambulance to the hopstial. I felt so bad that my friends had found me like that especially since they hadn't known what was happening at home with him and I had lied every time they had seen a bruise.

Niko and Anya had teamed up and managed to pull together so that I could leave about a week after I was released from the hospital. They kept apologizing for not realizing sooner as I kept apologizing for telling them sooner. We had managed to get Niko's uncle and his wife to agree to let me stay with them for a while without telling his parents seeing as they don't talk to each other and they were wanting a kid of some sort, So it was a win, win scenario. I lasted about a month and a half there before I had been on my way home from the library when a was almost home and I seen my step dad walk out of the house, get in his car and drive off. When I finally got in the house and talked to Niko's aunt and uncle I decided it was time to leave there and go some where else, I had already put them at risk especially because they we questioned by my so called legal guardian.

I told Niko and Anya the same thing that I told Niko's auntie and uncle, they were upset but understood and agreed to let me go on my own, no matter how hard Niko fought to come with me, as long as I called at least twice a week to check in with all of them. I had about two hundred dollars myself but Niko's aunt and uncle gave me six hundred dollars to get me a phone, a train ticket, some food, and for a motel room for as long as I could get with the money they gave me. I hoped on a train to a few towns over, and got a room close by and found a little cafe that was hiring, willing to pay me under the table, and down the street. I stayed there for almost 3 months until he was asking around for me again close by so I left again making sure that I kept in contact with the people that mattered. This kept happening so close to get her so I finally decided to head way out of state that way I have a less likely chance of him finding me again.