Outlaw Guy (epilogue)

Thanks for reading. Here is the last bit.

Outlaw Guy

Two weeks after Guy and Meg's wedding, Allan, sweating and out of breath, charges into the camp. He is clutching a battered roll of parchment tied with a dirty cream ribbon.

"Good job Sir Jasper is more interested in eating and whoring and counting tax monies than he is in Nottingham's comings and goings and the little people, as he calls them," Allan says between heaving breaths. He hands Guy the parchment.

Djaq pours Allan a mug of ale, which he downs without drawing breath. It's the hottest day of the summer so far and everyone, barring Allan, has been lazing about the camp having neither the energy nor the inclination to do much else. Even Guy has yielded to the unmerciful heat, exchanging his leather breeches and black shirt for lighter clothes, reminiscent of those Robin used to wear, though he will only wear the attached hood when it is prudent to do so.  

"What is it?" Djaq asks, pointing to the parchment.

Allan wipes his dripping chin with the back of his hand. "A letter, from Robin. Henry handed it to me right in the middle of playing cups. I was winning too, but I figured I'd better bring this straightaway in case it's important."

Djaq gives him a disapproving look; Robin had warned Allan against indulging in tavern tricks.

"Henry said a man he's never seen before gave it to him a couple of days ago. I guess he must have been a messenger, sent by Robin."

"Who is Henry?" Guy asks, sliding the ribbon from the creased, finger-marked letter. "One of your outer circle?" He recalls Robin mentioning Henry's name as they climbed out the bird-hung storeroom in their bid to escape the castle:  If you can't get to the gate, go to the Trip; Henry will hide you.

"Yeah. Henry owns and runs The Trip. He keeps his ears and eyes open, lets us know if anyone of interest turns up at the inn who we might want to know about and we give him a handful of coins in exchange for the information."

Guy frowns. "You might have told me about him. As leader I should be kept informed of everyone working for us, where they live, what they do, who they know."

Allan gives a dismissive shrug. "You never asked."

Djaq sidles closer to Guy.

"That's Marian's writing," she says.

"What does it say?" Much asks, leaning in for a closer look even though he can't read. "Is it good news? Have they saved the king?"  

Guy, after noting the salutation, reads aloud.

Dear Friends,

I hope this letter finds you safe and well. Our journey to Trifels Castle went smoothly and the castellan, upon Robin's insistence, granted us an audience with King Richard.

The king remains in good spirits despite his captivity. He was pleased to see us, though not to learn that his brother wishes him dead. Since arriving here, we have received news of Queen Eleanor's intention to raise a ransom. Robin urges you to steal the taxes from Nottingham Castle and see that they go to the queen as soon as possible.

"That's all very well for him to say," Much interrupts. "We're the ones who'll end up with a noose around our necks if we're caught."

"No," Djaq says. "Robin is right. The taxes Sir Jasper collects are destined for Prince John's personal coffers. We know this to be true. And I very much doubt John will hand those taxes to his mother seeing as he's the one who wants the king dead."