Empty Vessel

"What is the secret of enlightenment?"

The young monk Hokijō knelt before the abbot Genjin, his head bowed low out of respect. It was not often that the abbot of the monastery would grant an audience to those who had taken the first steps on their journey to wisdom. Indeed, it was considered to be a great privilege. Normally it was only those who were considered advanced or promising enough who were granted the right to speak with the abbot, let alone ask him questions.

The other, older monks looked at each other, as if saying to themselves, "Impetuous boy! Does he not realise what he has asked?" Abbot Genjin just smiled.

"The secret of enlightenment? That is a simple question, but one that all must answer in their own way."

Hojikō bowed low, until his forehead touched the stone flags of the floor. "I understand that, master. But, surely there is some wisdom you can give me to help me on my search?"

"Of course." The abbot looked around the chamber, at the rows on monks sitting on the benches under the arches that held up the wooden ceiling, then cleared his throat. One of the monks sitting beside him picked up a brush and a scroll of paper, ready to write down whatever Genjin was about to say.

"Enlightenment is unimportant. It is the vessel that is important. When - if! - enlightenment comes to you, it shall fill you in your entirety. There will be no part of you that is not enlightened. Where once you stumbled through life, blind to what it holds, you will walk through life aware of everything."

Hojikō thought on this for a moment. "So, I am to be a vessel for enlightenment?"

Genjin nodded. "Everyone can be a vessel for enlightenment." He picked up the bowl and the jug of water that he kept beside him and poured a measure of liquid into the bowl. "Do you understand?"

Hojikō shuffled forward and took the bowl from the abbot. "A vessel for enlightenment," he said, his voice heavy with wonder. Then he turned the bowl upside down, spilling the water onto the stones. "I understand, master."

The stillness of the monastery was broken by the sound of Genjin clapping and laughing in delight.