Chapter 17

Mira

While I was taking the daily rounds at the hospital, my mind still whirled back to the interaction I just had with Ahad. After what he'd done to me I marvelled at the audacity he had shown as he sat in front of me in my cabin and talked so effortlessly, showing no hints of any remorse.

After visiting the patients individually and prescribing their next set of treatment, I reported to the staff manager about my early departure. I couldn't stay longer in the hospital knowing that he was also there. I couldn't go back to my cabin because I knew he would be still somewhere near.

I still didn't know what relation he shared with Dr. Asher. Whatever it was, they seemed to know each other quite well. If that was the case then by now, he must have told Dr. Asher everything about me. Everything that he thinks he knows of me. Everything that had happened that ill-fated night; him meeting me at the Tube, both of us traveling to the airport, me running away with Alex, Ahad saving me from Alex and then dropping me back home.

I can't say what Ahad would have told him by now, but I know for a fact that he doesn't think highly of me.

He would never want Dr. Asher to let me work at the hospital. He would have blamed me for bearing a bad character, thinking that a person like me would bring shame to their esteemed organization.

At any given point of time, Dr. Asher would now come up to me and hand over my resignation letter.

I shuddered at my own thoughts. Tucking my essentials into my bag, I slung it across my shoulder and marched through the corridor before I heard someone calling for me.

I stopped in my tracks and turned around to find Dr. Asher making his way towards me. For a minute I felt out of breath. I didn't want my mind to trace back to the part where I had laid down all my doubts about him having a relation with Ahad. I didn't want him to ask me anything about Ahad or his patient.

'Dr. Mira... Are you leaving?' he said, breaking my reverie, and looked intently at me.

I had been working under him for over six months and still I had not been able to get used to his presence. With time, his presence had started affecting me to a greater degree. Not because he was extremely good-looking, bore a strong personality, or came from a lavish background. It was solely because he was indeed a good-hearted person, someone who was kind and affectionate to every person that he met. Every staff member of the hospital seemed to be in awe of him and I wasn't behind. With him, everything felt at the right place. He was the heart of this hospital. I wouldn't have been able to stand on my own feet ever again if it wasn't for him.

But now, I may would lose this opportunity forever.

As soon as I realized I'd taken a lot of time in coming back with a response to his question, I shook my head lightly and replied, 'Yes, I am leaving. I have informed the manager.'

'Is everything all right?' A crease appeared between his brows. 'As far as I know, you're one of the few doctors who always leave after the duty time specified.'

'I know, but I have some urgent piece of work at home,' I lied to him. I couldn't think of any better explanation.

'It's okay. You can take your time off. You deserve every bit of it,' he said, smiling warmly at me.

From the looks of him, I could see he was struggling about what to say next. He paused almost immediately, casting his eyes down.

'Um, thank you. I'll see you tomorrow,' I said quickly.

'See you, Dr. Mira.' He looked up at me, again passing me a warm smile, almost affectionate.

Before I could turn around and walk outside the hospital, I heard him calling my name again.

'Dr. Mira. Please wait!'

I turned around abruptly, my heart beating erratically. Would he be bringing the topic now?

'I'm sorry for stopping you in the middle, but I just wanted to know how Layla is doing.'

I raised a brow, pretending as if I was somewhat startled by his question. Within a spur of the moment, my mind travelled back to the same questions again. What was his relation with Ahad? Why was he asking about Layla when he rarely asked of any other patient in particular?

'She's... She's doing much better now. I still have to conduct some more tests tomorrow before I can let her go,' I told him, my voice resolute.

'Sounds good. Have you spoken to Ahad about it?' he asked, crossing his arms.

Hearing his name left me dumbstruck.

'Yes, I have,' I said, becoming wary of his next question.

'Nice... Actually,' he paused for a moment before he said, 'He's quite... quite concerned about her. And I am concerned about him. So...'

'Concerned?' I interrupted him. 'But...why? ' There I asked him. I had to get it out of my system. It was becoming unbearable to keep myself away from the truth.

'Oh, you don't know about him, don't you? I think you've met him for the first time,' Dr. Asher said, considerably.

I looked at him, confused, my heart hammering with uneasiness.

'He's my younger brother,' he declared, grinning.

I took in his words slowly and then all at once. I didn't know the impact of knowing this truth could be so distressing and at the same time disappointing that I'd almost stop breathing. Ahad was Dr. Asher's younger brother. They shared a blood relation.
Damn... Damn... Damn... Why? Why always me?
I wanted to bury myself under the floor I was standing on. The truth I most dreaded of was right in front of me, laughing at my misfortune.

Not knowing how to respond to the revelation he'd just made, I shook my head lightly.

'Anyways, I should not waste your time. You must leave. Have a good day,' he said, nodding.

With a quick nod, I turned around and rushed out the door, almost panting, fighting for air.

***

I hailed an Uber on my way home, my mind still stuck to the truth Dr. Asher had unraveled for me. Was it a mere coincidence that I was working in a hospital whose MD was Ahad's elder brother? How come I missed to notice Ahad's presence in the hospital while I was working there for the last six months? How could I be so oblivious? None of my colleagues ever spoke of Dr. Asher's personal life in my presence. I had seen and met his father a couple of times but never his brother. Now that Ahad had seen me working in the capacity of a doctor at the hospital, I was sure he would not wait to disclose everything about my past to his brother. He wouldn't let me work here.

I reached home, closing the door behind me. Daadi, as soon as she heard my footsteps, called out for me.

'Mira betey... Are you home?' she asked.

'Jee, Daadi, I am home,' I reassured her, entering the TV lounge.

She sat comfortably on the sofa, a table lavished with pakoras, jalebis, and lime juice set in front of her.

I took a seat on the sofa right next to her and pulled my duppata down.

'Aaj jaldi agayi?' Daadi asked, caressing my arm and looking at me affectionately. 'Yeh lo... have some jalebis.'

'Daadi... I need to tell you something.'

'What happened, Mira?' she asked, her face contorting with concern.

'I am not going back to this hospital again. I am going to quit,' I announced.