Missing

I sat on my bed alone in my room as my mom talked to the police man downstairs. It had been two week since Jessica had gone out to a beach party and had never come home. Some friends from the party recalled seeing her walk off on her own during the night and she never came back. Police organized a search and a lot of kids from school teamed up in groups to search for her. For a whole two weeks they found nothing and then this morning her shoes had washed up on a beach a couple miles east of where she dissapeared. Mom was heartbroken and I was a mess. The police questioned her friends and they questioned her boyfriend but they knew nothing of help.

I rolled over onto my side and stared at my reflection in the mirror. My hair was matted from lack of care and my eyes were red and puffy from crying. My mom was no worse as she tried to hold it together for the two of us. My cellphone rang and I pulled it out to see Dannys number on the call screen.

"Do you want me to come over?" Was the first thing he said as I picked up the phone I thought it over for a second before agreeing and hanging up the phone as I waited for him to arrive. Twenty minutes later and we were alone together in my bedroom. During the weeks since Jessica went missing Danny had been coming over everyday. We dont really talk much, mostly cause I dont know what to say, so we instead spend most of our watching movies and just sitting together in silence. Danny isnt the only one who comes by, sometimes Natalie or Phillip stops by as well.

"I dont know what she was thinking." Natalie says as she sits in my bedroom with Danny and I. She was at the party with Jessica that night and I can tell she feels a bit responsible. "She shouldnt have gone wandering off by herself." She says.

"No one can really know what she was thinking." Danny says as he tries to end the conversation quickly. Natalie is his friend but her feels uncomfortable with the way she talks about the situation. I for one choose not to say anything. I havent felt like talking much lately.

"Y/n, its getting late. Maybe your friends should head home." My mom says as she peeks her head into my bedroom. I nod solemnly as she slips back down the hall to her room.

"Call me if you need anything." Natalie says as I wave her goodbye at the door. Danny gives me a hug and a quick kiss on the forehead before he truns to follow Natalie down the driveway.

Time skip.

The next day is a staurday and I am home alone with Danny while mom is visiting relatives. She was reluctant to leave me alone at first but she calmed down once she saw that Danny would be here with me. We spent most of the morning together watching movies until around noon when there came a knock at the door. I got up to answer it.

"You know you dont have to come over every day." I said to Philip as he stood in the doorway of my house. He had come over uninvited to check on me which he had been doing quite often since Jessica dissapeared. The thought was nice but lately he seemed to be coming over more and more frequently.

"I just don't want you to be alone. I know you are probably hurting right now." He said, the concern evident in his voice.

"I'm fine." I muttered. "Besides I have Danny here with me." I pointed inside to Danny who was sitting on the couch watching Tv. He leaned back and waved at the two of us before returning his attention to the TV.

"Oh." Philip said with a frown as he looked back and forth between me and Danny. He obvoiusly didnt realize he was here.

"I gotta go, Philip. It was nice seeing you." I say sweetly as I shut the door on him and return to sit on the couch.

"He sure is coming over a lot." Danny noted as he munched on a potato chip.

"He's worried about me." I muttered.

"Are you sure that's it?"

"What else can it be?"

"This may come as a surprise to you but he might be lonely." I look up from the TV to look at Danny.

"Care to delve a bit deeper into that thought?" I ask curiously.

"Come one Y/n. The guys girlfriend disappeared. The dude is probably depressed. He wants company and your family is the only group of people who come close to understanding what he is going through." He says this cautiously as trying hard not to upset me by bringing up my sister.

To be completely honest I hadn't yet stopped to think about how Philip was feeling. I knew he was probably upset but I didn't quite think much further than that.

"What should I do?" I ask and Danny stares at me.

"You dont have to do anything." He says. "Just next time he comes over, show him you understand. Show him you care. That's all he really wants."

I nod in understanding but still feel iffy about the whole thing. I dont know Phillip well and we've barely talked at all. I am already busy enough with my own grief to have to worry about someone else.

"Maybe I should invite him over sometime for dinner or something." I say.

Danny smiles at me. "Sounds good." He says as we both redirect our attention back to the tv and spend the rest of the afternoon in silence.